New wheelset suggestions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

I doubt he will "understand" rim profile by following this diagram... Unless you suggest him to buy discs in order to be faster.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Example of rim profiles up to 30mm deep. Look at the shape, then inner and outer width. It's clearly visible how poorly H Plus Son Archetype will perform in contrast to FLO30. "Deep dish" wheels should never be your decision factor". There are shallow wheels that are wider with optimized rim profile that perform well.

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

R350

by R350

Cheers guys.

Please do bear me in mind however, that rim profile is a virginal topic of thought for me so I will take this into consideration.

In short; if I'm going to swap out the SLR0's, pay close attention the rim profile of a wheelset I'm currently at, and don't be persuaded and motivated purely on aesthetic criteria, ie, I want deeper section zipps 'cos they're sexy.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

R350 wrote:Cheers guys.

Please do bear me in mind however, that rim profile is a virginal topic of thought for me so I will take this into consideration.

In short; if I'm going to swap out the SLR0's, pay close attention the rim profile of a wheelset I'm currently at, and don't be persuaded and motivated purely on aesthetic criteria, ie, I want deeper section zipps 'cos they're sexy.

Did you see the chart that illustrates depth of wheels (e.g., from 30mm to 45mm)? The delta is ~17 seconds in 40km course. To put this in perspective, $3000 Zipp wheels will be ~ 20 seconds faster over your existing Giant SLR0 wheels by the time you finish your 40km course maintaining 30 mph.

Watch the videos from Specialized http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL ... SCDKCKR97t

There are over 20 but they are very short, 2-3 minutes. It will be a deep dive for you into the aero world.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder