Obermayer Schwarz Edition

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys,
Is it possible to recommend a good tubular tyre to go with my new Obie Schwarz. Preferably I would like them to be all black which I can't see many of, and around 260g ish. I've never ridden tubulars before as I've got Meilensteins clinchers, so I'm really new to this. I've read so many posts on here about tyres, but obviously people have different opinions which is making the decision difficult. So far with my research I've come up with,

Veloflex Carbon 23mm Black 260g.
Vittoria Corsa Graphene Black/Tanwall 25mm 240g.
Vittoria Corsa CX Black 25mm 255g Cheapest with 56% off.

Please can you guys help me out with your great knowledge and experience of ridding tubulars.
Cheers
Last edited by KCookie on Thu May 12, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LionelB

by LionelB

These are two good choices. Look at FMB as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sungod

by sungod

i use veloflex on mine, carbon front, arenberg rear

they do not have any real puncture protection, but on dry roads the rubber resists cutting - on wet roads they cut more easily

they are traditional construction, straightforward to repair if needed, but for a small puncture i just fix it with sealant (tufo extreme works well for this)

but the new corsa graphene ones are tempting, if they really are much more puncture resistant together with good performance/ride quality then i would try some

KCookie

by KCookie

Thanks guys, would you still get a better ride with 25mm vs 23mm as with clinchers. ?.
Still a bit undecided with tan side walls, but most now come like that, hoping they will look alright, used to all black tyres.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Veloflex tubulars...either Carbon front/Arenberg rear; Extreme front/Carbon rear; or Carbon front and rear

LionelB

by LionelB

KCookie wrote:Thanks guys, would you still get a better ride with 25mm vs 23mm as with clinchers. ?.
Still a bit undecided with tan side walls, but most now come like that, hoping they will look alright, used to all black tyres.

They both ride very well. More a matter of preference. As for tan vs black they exist in both. What frame is this going to ?

Denavelo

by Denavelo

Veloflex Arenberg... Such a good tire. If you stare at FMB tires the wrong way, the tread will wear. They are truly one day race tires.
I keep looking at other options outside of the Veloflex line and I always come back to them.
They're that good!
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Areenbergs are great, but on the narrow width Lightweights, the Carbons at 23mm will fit the rim bed profile much better.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

I have arenberg on LW gen III, fits great.

sungod

by sungod

ditto on obermayers - not quite as good a fit as carbons, but not a problem in practice

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Probably similar to putting 25's on the older Boras, which I did. Was ok, and worked fine, but certainly not as good as the 23's or 22's. Really noticed a difference with 25's on an Ambroisio Nemesis rim however. The rim profile of the Nemesis is such that, unless you build up the center channel a bit, a 25 or larger tubular will have most of their bond occurring right on the outer edge of the rim, and a fairly weak bond in the middle, versus a more even bond across the entire bed as is the case where the tire profile closely matches the rim bed profile.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Not really sure of what you are talking about. The base tape of an arenberg and a carbon is exactly the same.

kgt

by kgt

I would go for Veloflex (Arenberg or whatever) at 25mm. I glue 25mm tubulars on my LW Ventoux and they fit fine.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

LionelB wrote:Not really sure of what you are talking about. The base tape of an arenberg and a carbon is exactly the same.

Talking about the radius of the tire matching the radius of the rim bed. The closer these are to being the same the better the fit. Imagine an extreme example just for illustrative purposes... A fat mountain bike tube placed on a narrow road rim will just skim the edges of the rim. Wouldn't even touch the center of the rim bed. You can try gluing it to the center but when inflated it will still want to pull away from the low center. The edges will be fine however. In the other extreme, imagine a super skinny 21mm tubular on even one of today's wider road rims. The edges of the tire when inflated will want to pull up while the center will be the strongest bond. No big deal, but something to consider.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KCookie

by KCookie

Hi Guys,
Thanks again for the info it's a great help as it get quite daunting with all the tyres out there.
It looks like most of you are recommending going with Veloflex, the roads I ride are quite good so would the Arenbergs be over kill, as they are stated for cobbles etc.

LionelB these wheels will be going on an Urgestalt.

Nobody has mentioned the Corsa CX is this because they are an older model, as they are an amazing price atm.