Medium high carbon tubulars for everyday use

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mono

by mono

Hey,

as the title suggests, I'm looking for a new set of wheels. I'm 66kg, 183cm, so hilly/mixed terrain suits me well and is what I ride mostly. With my stature and on my Helium ES the flats provide abit of a problem in the local group rides -> Hence, the new wheels (also, BLING :) ) I think 40 to 50mm height would be suitable (?). I would also like to try tubulars for the supposedly superior ride+less weight.

What I came up with, after checking my budget (<750$/€):
-> new farsports/slowbuild provide best value for money. Should I get DT hubs or will EDhubs/Bitex be just as fine for these not-so-elite-rims?
Or should I hunt for used 'names' on ebay/forums, like ffwd f4r, corimas aero? They come up around my budget-line with 1-2 seasons of use. Assuming the brake-tracks are fine, would you rather get these?

Oh, and I also though about building a set up myself. Never done that, so maybe semi-expensive carbon rims are not the best opportunity to get my feet wet?!?

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Same height, same weight and similar terrain that we are riding (Who are you! :P ) I got some carbon-cycles 27mm wide 40mm clincher wheels and built them with Novatec hubs and Sapim CX-Ray spokes. It was 1500 grams dead with veloplugs and I am really happy with them. I have Novatec A291SL, F582SL hubs.

40mm is really good in terrains when you have short steep climbs (since they are not so heavy), stable on descents when you have strong winds and also fast on flats too. For hilly terrain, Chinese carbon brake surfaces are really enough and I love the stopping power with my red campagnolo brake pads.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

I have 3 sets of far sports. Not so elite? I find them very good. I'd choose them with the DT hubs. Ed hubs, novatec and bitex are ok, but they won't live as long as DT. And with DT hubs, it's possible to get spare parts for every single peace in the hub.