Bontrager Aeolus 3 D3 TLR

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

1234SO

by 1234SO

RedRacer wrote:I have Bora 50 clinchers and Aeolus 5 TLR - If I could only keep one pair it would be a very, very hard decision. As an ex Reylonds 46 Aero owner I can tell you they aren't in the same league. Oh, I much prefer the Boras and Aerolus over my Enve 3.4s (had both CK and Extralite versions) too.

This is what I hear too about Reynolds. Both braking and stiffness are below the quality of some of its competitors (to be sure, this is a relative judgement and from hearsay - never rode Reynolds myself).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

1234SO wrote:
RedRacer wrote:I have Bora 50 clinchers and Aeolus 5 TLR - If I could only keep one pair it would be a very, very hard decision. As an ex Reylonds 46 Aero owner I can tell you they aren't in the same league. Oh, I much prefer the Boras and Aerolus over my Enve 3.4s (had both CK and Extralite versions) too.

This is what I hear too about Reynolds. Both braking and stiffness are below the quality of some of its competitors (to be sure, this is a relative judgement and from hearsay - never rode Reynolds myself).

I can't personally say much in terms of stiffness as I'm a little guy and don't make much power, but Reynolds rims are generally on the lighter end when compared to others currently on the market, so that would make sense.

As far as braking, I really think Reynolds has one of the best braking surfaces in the game. Particularly under extended braking, I think they're most consistent when the rim gets hot. I feel like a lot of people on the boards have had this experience as well. I've ridden Reynolds, Enve, and Zipp clinchers, I feel Reynolds is slightly better than Enve and miles ahead of Zipp. I don't have any personal experience with Bontrager or Campy carbon clinchers, though.

1234SO

by 1234SO

Hi all,

I recently bought the 2017 Aeolus 3 D3 (35 mm). Only 500 km so far but I am really happy with these wheels. Really stiff, comfortable, and great accelaration. Riding them with Conti tires (25 mm - may switch to 23 for the front wheel). the 2017 version also looks fantastic; the wheels are almost completely black (the older models tended to be a bit brownish and that I did not like so much); also - the rims do not have a separate brake track, which contributes to a nice and technical look in my view.

On braking: I mostly rode in dry conditions using the cork pads. this was fine. however I also ordered the swiss stop pads which are supposed to also brake in the wet. will report back when tested. will also test the wheels in mountainous areas soon (it is pretty flat where I live).

nemeseri

by nemeseri

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:I've ridden Reynolds, Enve, and Zipp clinchers, I feel Reynolds is slightly better than Enve and miles ahead of Zipp.

Interesting. I've only ridden Reynolds (2015 assault) and the new Zipp NSW and I find the zipps much-much better than the reynolds both in dry and wet. Based on my experience the reynolds are just awful in moderate / heavy rain. In dry, they are ok, but in heavy rain I had my "uh-oh moments" with them.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I've owned d3 d5 and d7 all non TLRs but I thought they where fine wheels. If only knock them for wet braking ( as I would most Carbon wheels)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

nemeseri

by nemeseri

1234SO wrote:On braking: I mostly rode in dry conditions using the cork pads. this was fine. however I also ordered the swiss stop pads which are supposed to also brake in the wet. will report back when tested. will also test the wheels in mountainous areas soon (it is pretty flat where I live).

Please report back. I'm pretty much interested in the braking performance of these.