Zonda freehub outer bearing - replace or new freehub body?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

island

by island

Quick question - are Campagnolo Zonda freehub outer bearings replaceable?

Heard a bad crunching noise on a ride and inspected the freehub - very loose/rough.

Have taken it off the axel and after taking off the lock nut and spacer the outer ball race came out too.

This appears to be a grooved ring with ball bearings and two crinkled thin rings (to hold the ball bearings I guess?).

Can I clean this up and put it back together (still looking for all the ball bearings in the grease...) or do I need a new bearing or new freehub body?

The freehub body is Shimano (I know, I know.... I'm learning, and consider this punishment enough for joining the dark side of C/S mixing).

Thanks for any help.
Ed

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The outer bearing can be replaced if you have a bearing extractor to get it out. The inner one is more tricky because there is an very awkward circlip holding it in place. New freehub is the simplest option as they are not really meant to be serviceable but if you determined enough they are.

island

by island

The outer bearing of the freehub is out and on the kitchen table - consists of two crinkly metal rings with ball bearings.

Will buy a new freehub and then try and repair the old one - maybe buying new ball bearings.

Seems a weird design - I would have thought that the outer bearing on the freehub would be a replaceable sealed unit rather than a ball race.

From looking at other comments on wiggle for that freehub - other people are buying the whole freehub cos the outer bearing failed/rusted. £50 freehub for a few quids worth of bearings....

It's the same design I think for all Campy wheels. Very salty environment here.... (small sea level island). I guess other companies have more durable/sealed bearings on their wheels - got me thinking that for my commuter/wet weather bike I might be better off with something like Shimano Dura Ace 24 wheelset rather than the Zonda's? But more money...

island

by island

My mistake!
Looked carefully and then tapped out the outer ring of what turns out to be a sealed bearing that failed.

Will measure up and try and order a new bearing (and also order a spare freehub body). Might order a couple of spare bearings - weather side is bound to go again.

Thanks for the help - will research a new wheelset for hard use too.