Road side tire and tub repairs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mimason

by mimason

I thought I'd share a recent road side tire repair and semi product endorsement. If anyone would like to share other solutions this may be a good place to reference.

My event occurred at 30+ mph on a super fast section where my front tire instantaneously deflated after running into a patch of glass. Everyone on the ride saw it too late and didn't get to call it out. I was fortunate to be on a straightaway and was able to make a controlled stop without incident. What was noteworthy was the massive hole in the tire and tube(larger that pencil diameter). I was ready to attempt to boot the tire with a dollar bill, which was what was in my bag, but a buddy pulled out a Park TB-2 boot instead. Needless to say that the dollar would not have worked in hindsight with still 30 miles to ride home with the group. The TB-2 has adhesive that clearly held to tire from significant further separation as I was at risk or tearing at the bead with continued riding. When I got home the separation was even worse and without the adhesive boot I am confident that I would have had to call for a ride due to complete tire failure.

Please share other experiences and best practices/solutions.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

That's a massive cut. There are numerous threads of 4000s tires blowouts but I haven't seen anything like this before. I suggest you take this to Continental with red flag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Good Point. I've had some sidewall cuts previously with Contis. This was a result of a large piece of glass. It would have been with any tire imo.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Bad stuff happens sometimes. I'd say this is one of those times and it's not an issue with that particular tire but rather just plain bad luck. Glad you didn't go down.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

mimason

by mimason

Thanks. I credit in part the controlled stop to good fitting tires and also riding the 25s. If my front wheel remotely hit carbon rim to road I may have gone down hard. Running 23s on 24,2 rims even though they may be as wide in true measurement could have ended differently.

wojchiech

by wojchiech

i've used strips of tubeless tape before on a sidewall tear about that size. i overlapped them a bit and used patch glue for extra adhesion. I was able to ride home (about 20mi) safely and the tear did not get bigger. of course i replaced the tire as soon as i got home.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Only comment on the Park tire boots is to change them every year or so. After a few years they lose their adhesion and no longer stick to the inside of the tire and are useless. Get new Park tire boots every few years or less. Old ones don't stick.