Lightweight Meilenstein Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

A few years ago LW wheels were among the Gods in our ww forum. Now the new Gods are aerodynamics (not weight), u shaped rims, disc brakes (at least for some) etc, etc... Bora is clearly the new reference among wheelsets although nobody would compare them to LW a few years ago. Bora were fine wheels, yes, but LW were the ultimate reference. People were riding V shaped rims (like Bora) for ages without any issues or complains. O tempora o mores...

Meilenstein are amazing wheels. Their torsional stiffness - in absolute terms - is still at the top. Their stiffness to weight is still miles ahead of anything else. Their strengh is great as well, even proven in cx races (no, Enves are no way more durable...).
Of course the guys at LW can make U shaped rims. Their Gipfelsturm has U shape rims btw because it works well with their lower profile. But they do not want to ruin an amazing product like the Meilenstein by altering the weight, geometry or construction of the wheel.

Yes, LW Gipfelsturm - or any low profile wheelset - is a wiser choise if someone rides in windy mountainous areas. Yes, buying LWs used, at half price, is also a wiser choise than paying premium.

What I am saying is that trends change, obviously, but some great products still remain great products.

tadrums

by tadrums

Yeah...what he said:-)
TA

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

mulletmaster has got it right I think ... they are nice, but you're paying through the nose for the exclusivity, so that really has to matter to you

the fact they are objectively not as aero as more "modern" rim shapes would annoy me at that price ... and I don't value the exclusivity ... just ride a bike from era before the hordes got it for that LOL !
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

tadrums

by tadrums

Ha:-) Oh...but there's a right and wrong??:-)
TA

r3m

by r3m

Hi Guys.

Anyone tried tubular 25mm on the LW Meilenstein classic (not the 24 version). What do you think about that?

Thanks !

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Sure, it’s done all the time. They’re not the best fit as it’s a very narrow rim bed. The newer 24’s would be a better fit for a 25mm tubular. I think the older versions are ok for 22mm-24mm tubulars. Anything bigger and the slightly wider rim, with corresponding larger radius, will be a better fit. But you can certainly use the 25mm tubular in them. One thing I did find is that the exact same 25mm tire on the narrower versus the wider profile rim will sit a millimeter or two taller, due to the “push up” effect of being slightly squeezed versus being able to lie quite relaxed on the larger radius rim bed. So, if you’re really tight for clearance, this can be the difference between a no go situation and a perfectly fine situation. That was the case with my Boras and the Colnago C59... old Boras with 25mm Arrenbergs... a little tight. Same tire on newer Boras (little wider, larger radius rim bed), and they fit just fine.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

sungod

by sungod

r3m wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:32 pm
Hi Guys.

Anyone tried tubular 25mm on the LW Meilenstein classic (not the 24 version). What do you think about that?

Thanks !
what calnago says

but why 25mm? on the front it will be poor aerodynamically (even 23mm is too wide there), on the rear i found 25mm felt squirmy on hard cornering

RyanH

by RyanH

I have 25mm on my Ventoux but I took them off. I found that the wider tire mutes a lot of the characteristics of what makes LW great. I had a similar experience when I had the new Cosmic Ultimates with 25mm tubs. With 25mm tubs, they felt like the boras, almost indiscernable.

kgt

by kgt

I suggest 23mm front and 25mm rear.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’ve had a pair of Gen3 tubs for a few years and aside for a clean up andmlube of the rear hub recently, all I’ve done to them is put tires on when needed. I’ve put easily 30,000 miles on them without a single issue. They are super stiff like no other set of tires I’ve personally used including a set of custom built.

I think there is a huge amount of comments and opinions that get blown out of proportion so often they become gospel:

1. V vs U shape and wider rims
While in a lab it is technically true that the U shape is more aero, the reality is that it is very much of a controlled environment that makes a huge number of unrealistic assumptions. Even with that aside, 99%+ of the mortals buying these wheels will only see the aero advantage in their mind, not in measurable speeds. It is just a reality. We are all “weekend warriors” here, and some of us race even cat1/pro, but again still amateurs riding around for fun! Those 45 sec on a 35 mile distance the lab says you’ll save you will waste them waiting at a red light or slowing down to simply adjust your balls in the same ride.

2. They are terrible in the wind
While you do feel side winds gusts a bit more than with say shallow rims with regular spikes, calling it hard or terrible is simply bullchit! I live in an area that is flat AND windy most of the year. Not uncommon to have 15-20+ mph winds with gusts. I’m yet to hang on for dear life or being blown out of the rd. Simply ridiculous, but to be fair, I’m not 130 lb with noodle strength either.

3. They brake like crap
PERSONALLY, they brake no different than any other carbon rim I do and have used. I think the pads and type of brake you use have far more of an impact. Yellow pads with Zero Gravity brakes takes me 3 blocks to stop. EEbrakes with lightweight pads stop me on a dime, and I’m not a skinny guy. Even wet is not worse than other wet carbon rims in my experience even doing steep descends when I’ve taken these wheels to mountain areas.

4. They won’t brake properly in rain
See my point above

5. They are too expensive
In my humble opinion, that is only for you to decide what you can afford. I usually hear this from people locally, but these are the same guys that buy a new bike and components every time a new one comes out. They also buy Zipp wheels and get new ones every other year when the dimples or toroidal or whatever other crap comes out or when they have finally figured out/corrected the common problem in the last version. Same people that gladly buy a brand new $100-180K car because it goes 0-60 in under 4 sec, but still drive it at speed limit because they don’t live in a track. Are there other wheel sets half the cost that are pretty stiff and will be “aero enough”? Sure, they are. Your choice in the end! I would, however, remember the rule of “don’t use regularly (I will add here “buy”) what you can’t replace if it breaks”!

Enjoy the wheels, and especially if it comes at a decent discount. Everybody loves a discount!!

vamoots58

by vamoots58

New to the LW club having recently pruchased a pair of Meilenstein 24E Tubulars. dgasmd agree with every point you make above (with particular emphasis on #1 & #5)!!

LionelB

by LionelB

r3m wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 6:32 pm
Hi Guys.

Thanks !
Yes, used to ride this all the time on my Gen III. No issue.

r3m

by r3m

Thanks ! I will try that next spring.

I use the LW pads for breaking, no issue but a bit expensive. Anyone try other pads? I want to try the swiss black prince but i read they were too abrasive.

kgt

by kgt

Warranty is valid only when you use LW pads. I am sure Corima pads will work fine (in dry conditions). These are much cheaper.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

r3m

by r3m

Yes but they are Warranty only 2 years? So when the warranty is over ...