Different spin on a wheel thread

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

I don't have the room in our condo for a collection of bikes. As such, I'll be riding my look 595 for all purposes. One of these purposes is a painfully slow pace with my girlfriend on her cruiser.

Goals, COMFORT, then lightweight, then cheap... must be campy compatible.

Performance is NOT the goal here.. however reliability/not needing to constantly true is a bonus. These do not need to be stiff... I'm about 155-160 lbs currently but plan to drop some weight coming out of a boring Minnesota winter of lethargic tendancies [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

abrown3mtg wrote:I don't have the room in our condo for a collection of bikes. As such, I'll be riding my look 595 for all purposes. One of these purposes is a painfully slow pace with my girlfriend on her cruiser.

Goals, COMFORT, then lightweight, then cheap... must be campy compatible.

Performance is NOT the goal here.. however reliability/not needing to constantly true is a bonus. These do not need to be stiff... I'm about 155-160 lbs currently but plan to drop some weight coming out of a boring Minnesota winter of lethargic tendancies [emoji38]

Edit: mods feel free to move this to the wheel thread. First time on tapatalk app.. sorry

breezerboy
Shop Owner

by breezerboy

Depending on your preference for tubs or clincher, handbuilt wheels with Ambrosio Nemesis or H+son TB14. Both will be very nice built 28 or 32 spoke onto hubs of choice. Sapim Laser or DT Revolution will add to comfort a touch if hub choice allows. Wrap them in 25+ tubs/open tubs with latex tubes and you'll want them for more than just the slow rides.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

See what a set of Campy Zondas will set you back. They are really an understated set of wheels that are faithful and durable. Not sure what your ultimate budget is, but if you will have one set of wheels then there is an argument to spend a wee bit more. Also check the options from Fulcrum. I would steer you to handbuilt wheels as breezerboy recommends, but I am not certain what access you have to competent wheel builders in your area (or if you service your own wheels.)

abrown3mtg

by abrown3mtg

Stolichnaya wrote:See what a set of Campy Zondas will set you back. They are really an understated set of wheels that are faithful and durable. Not sure what your ultimate budget is, but if you will have one set of wheels then there is an argument to spend a wee bit more. Also check the options from Fulcrum. I would steer you to handbuilt wheels as breezerboy recommends, but I am not certain what access you have to competent wheel builders in your area (or if you service your own wheels.)

I'll take a look at the the Zondas. Thank you. Currently I have a set of 404 tubulars on the bike. The other set will go on for the occasional slow casual ride with the girlfriend. I can deal with the irritation of having to swap out brake pads. I'd built a set of Chris King Classic/Aerohead/Aerolite 32 spoke wheels before that I loved. I'd prefer to keep the budget a bit lower than that for this purpose.

A set of Campy Neutrons popped up locally for a pretty low price that is intriguing as well.

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

The Neutrons are also a nice set of wheels. Very durable. Some people here have had trouble mounting new tires on the Neutron rims, so if you get them use talc when mounting.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Also stiffer wheels are more reliable wheels. If you a comfortable wheelset pick one with a wider rim.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

Swapping out brake pads everytime you ride with your GF sounds a real faff to me. If you can build wheels why not lace some sensibly priced chinese carbon rims to hubs of your choice if you want a second set of wheels - avoids changing the brakes all the time....