Custom Wheels - What rim? Light and strong.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Hey guys.

I'm about to pull the trigger on some custom wheels.

I have narrowed it down to Chris King hubs (yeah there are a lighter options, but they are dead sexy)

But what rim will you prefer for a 225lbs/100kg rider that is both light and strong? I will be my climbing wheelset. So would be sweet if i could go under 1500grams. And what spokes should i get?

mimason

by mimason

HED Belgium with CX Ray spokes.

You could probably get away with 20/24 but 20/28 or 24/28 would be better. I would try to steer you to WI T11 hubs though instead. They are sexy enough but will be a good bit stronger :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

as above , but for your weight 24-28 , HED is only 24mm profile rim. with cx ray and hubs below 330g you will go below 1500g.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Fixie82

by Fixie82

I too would suggest the WI T11 hubs over Chris King, mostly from a serviceability point of view. You can still get all the pretty colours for matchy matchy as well. I haven't been your weight but have been as heavy as 93-95kg when I was boxing, at that weight I much preferred a solid wheel under me than anything really light weight. I still do to some extent its that I can get away with using lighter things and have them still feel solid.

Do you know what spoke count, spoke type, lacing pattern and nipples you will be using for the build?

As for rims are you looking at alloy or carbon? Riding in the Alps or some hinterland like hills with fairly short descents?

HED Belgium (450g) would be a great option and a safe bet in all alloy, Pacenti SL23 (430g) would also be worth a look but I have heard they can be a little fragile and difficult to mount tyres on. You could look at the Stans Alpha rims, they will be lighter but they are also narrower and potentially not as stiff. The Velocity A23 (450g) would be a cheaper option but I would go with a HED over this for build quality.

A left field rim option in alloy is the BHS C31w (Kinlin XR31T) it's 485g but 31mm deep and 24mm wide. It is a great stiff, strong and tubeless ready rim. It's also relatively cheap. I'm riding a set of these in 24/28 bought and built through Shifter Bikes in Melbourne using his own Speedway front hub and a Kappius rear. With CX-Rays and brass nipples it came in under 1600g. I really like these wheels and would highly recommend them, not quite at your target weight but they don't compromise in other areas.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

I will be using them one og twice a year in the alps. I live in Denmark aka pancake land, and there I ride my zipp 404s..

But should i just aim for the regular c2 model and not plus? I will be running 24/25mm tires on them.

But the heds with cx ray seems to be the winner despite the weight penalty.

Fixie82

by Fixie82

Are your 404s full carbon clinchers, tubular or alloy rimmed? If they are the alloy rimmed model, you could potentially use them all over without much penalty, as Aero is supposed to trump weight on all but the steepest of slopes. A set of HED Belgium's, while an awesome wheel, might be overkill for use only once or twice a year. Would they double as a wet weather set? Training hoops?

Laced to Kings these will be fantastic, as a bigger guy I would go for the plus model if your frame can accept bigger tyres. I certainly wouldn't worry if not but having a larger contact patch and better tyre shape would make them a blast on descents and slightly more comfy on longer rides.

Are you still set on Kings?

Nejmann

by Nejmann

My 404's are full carbon clinchers. I will use them as my windy/traininghoops as well.

Yeah i'm pretty set on the kings. Plus rim and king hubs sounds like the way to go. I used to use a pair of Fulcrum zeros in the mountans. But do you think there really is a difference on those 200 grams in my weight range?

Multebear

by Multebear

CK R45's are dead sexy, but if you're planning on using the wheels all year in Denmark, then CK's are probably not the right choise. There's way to much rain in DK for hubs like that. I would consider Whites or Dura ace hubs instead. If they are only summer training wheels, then go ahead with the CK's.

Regarding rims, the HED Belgiums are very expensive to get to DK. They will probably cost you more than 1.200 kr. each, including customs etc. Depending on your budget, you'd probably want something cheaper. If I were you, I'd take a look at the DT Swiss R460. If you want to go light, then maybe the Pacenti SL23, but they are expensive as well, not so much as the HEDs though.

I wouldn't go 20/24 lacing if I were you, with you 100 kg. I'd say at least 24/28.

cx-ray spokes are a good choise. DT aerolite as well. Or maybe try the chinese CN424 for a cheaper option.

Where in DK are you located, Nejmann?

Nejmann

by Nejmann

They will only be my summer wheels, will buy a cross bike for the winter/rainy days at the end of the year.

Your right about the price for the HED's in Denmark/Europe.. Baaah didn't know what. Maybe i should look at the others.

I think i'll go with 24/28. Not so much for the cheaper option spokes. Think I go with the cx-rays..

I'm located in Randers. Offen in Copenhagen?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

CK R45s are lovely but the maintenance is a bit of a pain.

I've been on DT Swiss 240s @ 105kg and they've been spot on and trouble free.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

mimason

by mimason

Once or twice a year use? What's wrong with the Fulcrum Zeros? This just seems like a lot of money to lay down not to ride them like you stole'em.

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Sold then last year. I will use them for the mountains twice a year but alot back home in Denmark ;-)

Multebear

by Multebear

You might also take a look at the range of Kinlin rims. bikehubstore.com have most of them with specs etc. But you should order them from ebay, since there's a chance, they will go through customs without charges. I got mine from ebay without charges a couple of years back. The Kinlin XR31t ones would be a good choice.

But seriously, have a look at the DT Swiss R460 rims. They are cheap, fairly light, and look good. I've done around 2.000 km on them, both winter training and summer training in DK, I've even used them for cx - all of it without any issues.

https://www.bike24.de/1.php?content=8;p ... 1000,4,301

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

HED belgium+ 24F/28R CX-rays and WI T11 hubs is about all the wheelset any one needs.

Also look at the cheaper Kinlin XR31T and XR31RT for the rear. This is the stiffest rim you can buy under 500g. Builds up as well as the HED's not as good looking but it makes a fine wheel. The rim is so stiff a 20F/24R is all you would need but I would using sapim CX- force or Sapim force spoke for the rear.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I just built up a set of wheels with Kinlin rims for the first time and was quite impressed. Both 24 mm wide rims.

XR22T front and XR31T OC (off centre) rear. 24 x 28

I used BHS hubs and Lasers. Final weight was just under 1500 g.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com