enve 3.4 clincher wheels.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blueturtle

by blueturtle

Hi, need some help and advice.Just fitted a pair of Enve 3.4 clincher wheels to my Cervelo r3sl. Being a bit of a weight weenie i removed my Dura ace 7900 brake calipers and replaced them with a pair of secondhand Ciamillo calipers, these came with i presume 50% worn yellowstop brake pads.These pulled me up satisfactorily in the dry but are a nightmare in the wet. I applied brakes after being caught out in a downpour and nothing happened , just sailed on never remotely slowing me down.Does anyone have an opinion on what will help me to brake more efficiently.

mimason

by mimason

Only use ENVE pads but I've have success with Reynolds Blue and Enve rims but ENVE says only ENVE pads or have no warranty. Swissstop yellows suck and those light brakes are not known for good performance. If you want light and good look at EE.

EDITED to soften the comment about the brakes. No offense intended.
Last edited by mimason on Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

davidw

by davidw

+1[emoji121] enve pads

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

MattSoutherden

by MattSoutherden

Yellows are rubbish.

My preferred carbon pars are now Campag, but Black Prince are good, as are Reynolds.
Snacking on carrot sticks - Where did it all go so wrong?
-
Finsbury Park CC

superdx

by superdx

You can only use Enve pads on 3.4s. Yellows are pretty terrible anyways so no need to try them.

kode54

by kode54

i would go for the Swiss Stop Black Prince. i have used the Yellows and the Blacks are a completely different pad and good in the wet.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

sfo423

by sfo423

mimason wrote:Only use ENVE pads but I've have success with Reynolds Blue and Enve rims but ENVE says only ENVE pads or have no warranty. .

If warranty does not apply (5yr+ or second hand), what works the best?

mimason

by mimason

^ I've never used any pads other than Reynolds or Enve with Enve rims but the black prince mentioned above would be what I would get if not ENVE brand. I have Campy red on another set of wheels that are really good but I've never tried them with my Enves.....but Enve pads seem to work fine with campy rims for the very short time I had to run them that way. :)
FWIW my experience with Swiss stop yellow are from Giant wheels.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

The latest Cryo Blues loaded into EE brakes on Reynolds rims ain't awesome in the wet either, but they'll eventually begin to bite after a second of nothing.
Last edited by Johnny Rad on Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

I also have a set of Enve 3.4s. Also, EE brakes and Enve pads. The first ride in the rain I almost rear-ended the rider in front of me, so even with good brakes and pads you need to keep your speed under control, plan ahead and start applying the brakes before you think you need to.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Did the enve pads and the dura ace stop you more effectively? To me this is job 1
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Treelegs

by Treelegs

discs? Never mind, back to lurking.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blueturtle

by blueturtle

Hi,Fromtrektocolnago.Never did try the Dura Ace brakes with enve 3.4 wheels. as the brake pads were only aluminium compatible. I am now in a bit of a quandry.Do i revert back to dura ace brakes with suitable pads or stick with the ciamillo brakes using enve or black prince pads sacrificing the weight difference.Incidentally Ciamillo use campag shoes and of course Dura Ace are shimano fitting so not interchangeable. PS i do believe that the Dura Ace brake are the more efficient. At the moment i do tend to start braking early to compensate for the poor efficiency.It is the emergency stop which is the problem.