Mavic cosmic pro carbon SL clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry but I don't have a scale so I don't weigh my parts. I did remove the insanely heavy inner tubes and rim strip that are supplied and switched to my preferred products. The claim is 1390. I hope its close. In the hand they certainly feel lighter then my 1500 gram alloy clinchers. I am sure someone here has knowledge of how much Mavic lies if at all about weight. I seem to recall Mavic being relatively truthful in this regard.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Mr.Gib wrote:Sorry but I don't have a scale so I don't weigh my parts. I did remove the insanely heavy inner tubes and rim strip that are supplied and switched to my preferred products. The claim is 1390. I hope its close. In the hand they certainly feel lighter then my 1500 gram alloy clinchers. I am sure someone here has knowledge of how much Mavic lies if at all about weight. I seem to recall Mavic being relatively truthful in this regard.

What's your preferred rim strip? I promise this is my last question and stop nagging you. Thanks for the useful responses, you've been very helpful! :thumbup:

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I use Stan's. It's light.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

F45

by F45

Tomstr wrote:
Interesting, do you have a link to their test?

Issue 8

island

by island

Hi - looking for a clincher wheelset for a 2015 Supersix Evo (58cm)...

Would the Cosmic Pro SLC's with GP4000II 23mm's fit this frame? (25mm wide)

How would the CP SLC's compare to the new DA C40's (24mm wide)?

I'm 89kg - are the CP SLC's suitable?

Many thanks,
Ed

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Cosmic should fit the SuperSix with 23 mm tire no problem. Maybe even 25 mm. The internal width is only 17 mm.

You weight is OK. Fact is at your weight most wheels will work, but they just won't last as long. Mavic are likely to be as tough as any.

Sorry can't compare to Dura Ace wheels. I would compare the weights before making a decision. And these new Mavic hubs are great so far. Not saying their better than DA but not a lesser product either. The only fault is the rear hub has tighter weather seals than any Dura Ace hubs I have used so a bit more drag, but this is a very minor inefficiency. OTOH the Mavic front is spins more freely than any Dura Ace, in fact spins more freely than any hub - quite amazing actually.

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

island wrote:Hi - looking for a clincher wheelset for a 2015 Supersix Evo (58cm)...

Would the Cosmic Pro SLC's with GP4000II 23mm's fit this frame? (25mm wide)

How would the CP SLC's compare to the new DA C40's (24mm wide)?

I'm 89kg - are the CP SLC's suitable?

Many thanks,
Ed

I have the Cosmic Pro SL C on my 2014 SS EVO HM and with the 25mm tires but then suffered a sidewall puncture to the Mavic tires and tube so I now have GP4000ii's 25mm on them and do not have clearance issues going to 25mm.

Mavic says that its recommended that 25mm tires be used as the minimum but using 23mm shouldn't be a problem either correct?

DDX

by DDX

I have the Cosmic Pro Carbon SL C since April and rode 18k km with them.
Only complain is the freehub is soft material, difficult to remove the cassette. (casette cuts in material)
My other mavic wheelsets don't have this problem.

Weight:
front wheel 0.62kg
rear wheel 0.79kg
total weight 1.42kg

Weight without rimstrip and measured with park tool ds-1

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Did Mavic switch to an aluminum freehub? I had thought Mavic has always used steel for the freehub body. By the way I think if you use the Sram X-Dome style cassette you won't have the freehub problem. The X-Dome transfers the force to an aluminum spider that is wider and softer at the contact area.

cooper

by cooper

DDX wrote:Only complain is the freehub is soft material, difficult to remove the cassette. (casette cuts in material)

use a SRAM Red cassette and you won't have this problem

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I just received my Ksyrium pro carbon sl clincher wheelset.
Weight is somewhat dissapointed.
620 front and 810 rear w/o rimstrip.
So that's not super light for a carbon clincher.
Well anyway I was not intended to use these as a pure Climbing set, more allround.
I use LW Meilstein clincher wheels for Climbing but I was ready to give up some weight to have better braking in the wet.
Now I hope the ksyrium is stiff and the low rim will be quick in acceleration.

DDX

by DDX

Does anyone know how to remove the id360 freehub so I can service the hub ?
Hex key doesn't offer any help.

Leeroy996

by Leeroy996

Has anyone tried the Disc version?

I have the disc version and the preload adjuster is located under the disc. That means I have to remove the disc to adjust the freeplay.
Freeplay with disc brakes = disc rub.

I'm thinking of putting loctitie on the thread to stop is backing out. I've owned many Mavic wheels and know some will back out on a daily basis.
Any suggestions ?

Jian81

by Jian81

Hi just weighed my pair of wheels which i just accquired, the weight is absolutely disappointing and i feel really ripped off.
Here are the weights(measured with X-Tools Digital):
No skewers
870g rear wheel(with Mavic rim tape, doesnt seem to be able to come off easily at all)
690g front wheel

1560g for total wheelset

Im not sure why my wheelset have such a big difference from what was advertised of 1450g. 110g off is pretty unacceptable.

Anyone have a similar experience?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

a20dth

by a20dth

I have my new wheels Cosmic Carbone SL C 1 month algo. I can feel more stabilitiy in wind and stiff is execellence, the hubs roll well. The most diference is the stability in wind than my older Cosmic Carbon 40 Elite.

The Cosmic 40C Elite weight in my scales 1.530gr whithout stikers and these new Cosmic SL C weight with rim tape and stikers 1.450gr exactly, whithout stikers 1.440gr. I think It's possible loss more weight change the rim tape for S'Tans.

I put now in the front wheel Michelín Power Competition 23mm and the real size is 24,1mm. I don't know any reference of these tire only the reviews say "It's fast" ok but the gripp?