Mavic cosmic pro carbon SL clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Vtrdaz

by Vtrdaz

Brilliant - thanks for your very helpful feedback Mr Cooper! It's good to have some direct comparison with the Mavics against the zipps!

Darren

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bluecoupe

by Bluecoupe

5DII wrote:can you describe the hub freewheeling sound or compare it to others?

Its a whirring sound it truly sounds unique. Friends that I ride with have commented on the sound. My DA35 are silent and loudest would be my Reynolds assault slg's

addictR1

by addictR1

any more rider feedbacks? i'm in market for new carbon wheels.. after toasting two Farsport wheelset (one carbon delaminating, the other one brake track cracked under high heat during descent), i want a CF wheelset that i wouldn't have to worry much about carbon delaminating.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

The Fulcrum Racing Quattro is a better buy. 1,490 grams (actual weight) 40mm carbon clincher with the high temp epoxy, all for less than $900 with the WW discount.

Vtrdaz

by Vtrdaz

Ok I have my wheels -REALLY pleased with them!
I've fitted an ultegra 10 sp cassette which came with an extra thin washer - I fitted this but shifting was horrendous so I took it off and just used the supplied 10sp washer that came with the wheels.

The cassette is tight with just Mavic washer - dio I actually need the other thin dhimano washer if the cassette is tight?

nemeseri

by nemeseri

cooper wrote:
Vtrdaz wrote:Afternoon chaps,
I'm considering a pair of these myself over zipp 303's - does anyone have any more feedback on then?

In addition to the Cosmic Pro Carbon SL-C, I have a pair of Zipp 202 Firecrests with White Industries Hubs. My 202s are ~80 grams lighter than my Cosmic wheelset and while I climb a lot, I prefer the Mavics. In terms of personal preference I'm also liking the stock hubs on the Mavics. They engage quickly, but just be aware that when freewheeling the pawls do make a fair amount of noise (which I find helpful on the multi-use trails when coming up from behind walkers)

The area where the Cosmic Pro Carbon SL-C really shines over the Zipp Firecrest is the brake track. The SL-C brake track is substantially better. While I have seen a lot of positive reviews for the 303 NSW brake tracks, I don't have any direct experience wit them. Also the NSWs are $900 more than the Mavics. So if you're looking at the Firecrests, I'd say go with the new SL-C Cosmics.

I can't really decide between this and a set of Zipp 303 FC tubulars. It's really interesting that you prefer the Mavics' braking over the zipps. Tour Magazin rated the braking of these lower than the Zipps' and noted that the braking faded quickly during long braking. On the other hand they had better aero results than the zipp 303 (!). I'd also appreciate any additional info from you regarding the wheels. Maybe a short review? :roll:

wingguy

by wingguy

Did they really? I honestly thought the Pro Carbon braking was absolutely fantastic, best I've ridden by a wide margin in control and outright power. To be fair I didn't do any prolonged descents where fade would be an issue though.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

nemeseri wrote:It's really interesting that you prefer the Mavics' braking over the zipps. Tour Magazin rated the braking of these lower than the Zipps' and noted that the braking faded quickly during long braking. On the other hand they had better aero results than the zipp 303 (!).

Interesting, do you have a link to their test?
Ride it like you stole it

Vtrdaz

by Vtrdaz

Tomstr wrote:
nemeseri wrote:It's really interesting that you prefer the Mavics' braking over the zipps. Tour Magazin rated the braking of these lower than the Zipps' and noted that the braking faded quickly during long braking. On the other hand they had better aero results than the zipp 303 (!).

I've just come back from Mallorca using these wheels - nearly 10k of descending ion sa collabra in 30 degrees and I noticed no brake fade

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Tomstr wrote:

It's in the 07/2016 tour international issue. You can download the issue through their ios / android app for $3. They tested 19 wheels, I think if you trust them it's worth $3 to download the full test.

They tested with a pedaling dummy on a round tubed bicycle. They also weighted the yaw angles in a realistic way. The mavic cosmic pro carbon sl had some good points: it survived their torturous braking test (a few wheels still fail on this), had very good aero results for it's depth and good stiffness. Only 4 wheelset had better aero results and all of them were 50mm+ ones.

Unfortunately they didn't state the tires they ran the tests.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Vtrdaz wrote:
Tomstr wrote:

I've just come back from Mallorca using these wheels - nearly 10k of descending ion sa collabra in 30 degrees and I noticed no brake fade

Thanks! This is really good news. How do you like those wheels compared to others?

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Just to add a bit of data on these wheels, I have the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL, so same hub and brake track, just different rim depth.

Yes braking is all you could expect from a carbon rim. Hubs seem really solid. The front is set up to be incredibly free spinning. It almost has some play until you put your weight on it. The rear has tighter seals and is not as free spinning. Obviously a concession to weather proofing. Engagement is very quick. I expect these hubs to be pretty bombproof like a lot of Mavic stuff.

Worth noting is that from the factory, although the wheel was true and round, the spoke tensions were not as even as they should have been. In particular there were a couple of non-drive side rear spokes that were almost slack. Somebody at the factory really must have screwed up. The dish also wasn't quite perfect, It favoured the non-drive side slightly. I went over the wheel with a tensiometer and sorted everything out. Perfect now but it's a bit of a disgrace that this level of wheel from a company like Mavic could arrive with anything less then a perfect build. Front wheel was well built although still not perfectly even tension.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Mr.Gib wrote:Just to add a bit of data on these wheels, I have the Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL, so same hub and brake track, just different rim depth.

Yes braking is all you could expect from a carbon rim. Hubs seem really solid. The front is set up to be incredibly free spinning. It almost has some play until you put your weight on it. The rear has tighter seals and is not as free spinning. Obviously a concession to weather proofing. Engagement is very quick. I expect these hubs to be pretty bombproof like a lot of Mavic stuff.

Worth noting is that from the factory, although the wheel was true and round, the spoke tensions were not as even as they should have been. In particular there were a couple of non-drive side rear spokes that were almost slack. Somebody at the factory really must have screwed up. The dish also wasn't quite perfect, It favoured the non-drive side slightly. I went over the wheel with a tensiometer and sorted everything out. Perfect now but it's a bit of a disgrace that this level of wheel from a company like Mavic could arrive with anything less then a perfect build. Front wheel was well built although still not perfectly even tension.

Thank you for the review! You are making this really hard! :D
I'm torn between this and the zipp 303.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If it helps at all, the ride quality is superior. Very comfortable. Again I can't comment on the Cosmic version. I went for the lighter weight of the Ksyrium over aero. One hesitation that I did have was that the rim is not quite as wide as the latest greatest clinchers from other companies. But now riding the wheels, installing tires, etc., the 17 mm internal width is plenty. I have other wheels that have up to 21 mm internal width and I can't say the extra width makes a noticeable difference. The 25 mm tires I am using still look huge.

I haven't ridden the latest from Zipp so I can't compare. I did ride Zipp 404 tubulars for a while, but as others have pointed out, the rear hub from Zipp has yet to establish a long term track record of reliability. I managed to vaporize the ratchet mechanism in mine on a steep climb.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

nemeseri

by nemeseri

Mr.Gib wrote:If it helps at all, the ride quality is superior. Very comfortable. Again I can't comment on the Cosmic version. I went for the lighter weight of the Ksyrium over aero. One hesitation that I did have was that the rim is not quite as wide as the latest greatest clinchers from other companies. But now riding the wheels, installing tires, etc., the 17 mm internal width is plenty. I have other wheels that have up to 21 mm internal width and I can't say the extra width makes a noticeable difference. The 25 mm tires I am using still look huge.

I haven't ridden the latest from Zipp so I can't compare. I did ride Zipp 404 tubulars for a while, but as others have pointed out, the rear hub from Zipp has yet to establish a long term track record of reliability. I managed to vaporize the ratchet mechanism in mine on a steep climb.

I'm not concerned about the internal width. If I wanted maximum comfort I'd get a tubular set. 25mm outside / 17mm inner is perfectly fine, moreover perfect. Do you happen to know the actual weight of yours? How does it match the claimed weight?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com