new wheels ENVE 4.5 enve hub vs LW Meilenstein T Schwarz

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

quattro100

by quattro100

Thinking to add a new wheel for my F8. Currently using shamal mille and they are fine except for screaming like crazy when braking.

I ride about 120km a week for recreation and in Hong Kong, 60% of the time climbing / 10% descending and 30% flat.

Looking at the following:

1) Enve 3.4 enve hub with new brake track Tubular
2) Enve 4.5 enve hub with new brake track Tubular (3 months wait)
3) LW Meilenstein T
4) LW Meilenstein T Schwarz

option 1-3 similar price here, option 4 about 10% more.
I am a 88kg rider, abit on the heavy side. What would you choose, especially considering the brake power on mountain.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Are you definitely wanting the ENVE hub? ENVE hubs are DT innards effectively.

If you are open to other suggestions I would build Enve tubular hoops with WI hubs. At your weight that would be a stellar setup and you can maintenance/repair hubs and spokes easily.

I'd choose 4.5s over 3.4s too.

You are going to get a boat load of LW recommendations too but I'd be a little concerned about servicing them and at your weight......

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

What i would ask myself if i were you, is what preferences more you have?

Is ride feel important (how much %)
Do you want a narrow V-shape rim, or a wider rim with modern aero profile?

I think Lightweight will ride stiffer (in this case it means harsher ride feel) than most wheels.
Mavic CCU could be close though.

You can also consider another wheelset if you truly want unique and among the best.

Bike Ahead Biturbo Road

http://bike-ahead-composites.de/service ... vergleich/
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

kgt

by kgt

wheelsONfire wrote:I think Lightweight will ride stiffer (in this case it means harsher ride feel) than most wheels.

LWs are indeed stiffer than any other wheelset but do not feel harsh. @ a rider's weight of 88kg definitely LWs with 25mm tires would be my choice.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

There is alot to figure when you buy new wheels. I respect all love for LW, i do. I don't say any wheelset is the best because i think it comes down to how you want the bike to feel.
http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Debunkin ... _3449.html

KGT, i am not sure LW are the stiffest wheel stiffness to weight. I actually believe Bike Ahead Biturbo is winning.
But i am not dead sure.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

quattro100

by quattro100

Thanks guys. Lot of info!

I want something that's good on flat, stable coming downhill with reasonable braking dry/wet and climbs reasonably well(given my weight, I suppose crosswind issue on V shape or deeper wheels are less impactful?) I know that's a lot to ask for carbon wheels

Enve 4.5 with its new brake track, from what I read, was suppose to fit the above (in theory). In HK, all ENVE comes with either CK45, DT240 or ENVE hub so no choice on building with WI. The problem is the 4.5 with new brake track in tubular is not in production yet.....

Would you guys consider the 4.5 in clincher? That one they have in stock (it is the limited edition from Jan, I don't like the color but I do want the wheels with me for my next trip....)

Alternatively, LW Meilenstein T 16/20 is available but with my weight 88+7.8 kg bike, am I too close to the 100kg limit? And is braking good enough for my downhill rides?

Thanks again

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If you ride those Lightweight and they crack, are you willing to wait for a repair? You know LW wheels can only be repaired at LW!
I mean, i would actually seriously consider if it's worth it!?

The guy who bought my CCU was more heavy than you are. He had used Zipp 404 and told me they were not good for him.
With that weight perhaps you should look for a wheelset with a bit more spokes than 16/20 version?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

mimason

by mimason

I'm 84kg and raced/rode the snot out of 20/24 CK R45 hubs laced to Enve rims for 50k km strong. Bulletproof.

kode54

by kode54

wheelsONfire wrote:If you ride those Lightweight and they crack, are you willing to wait for a repair? You know LW wheels can only be repaired at LW!
I mean, i would actually seriously consider if it's worth it!?

The guy who bought my CCU was more heavy than you are. He had used Zipp 404 and told me they were not good for him.
With that weight perhaps you should look for a wheelset with a bit more spokes than 16/20 version?

i'm not that heavy, but have terrible roads in the northeast US. tons of potholes. that said, i cracked a LW on a downhill pothole. cracked the wheel. amazingly, i road on it to get back home with no issues. i've hit similar sized potholes with the Enve 4.5 wheels and never had any issues. never had them trued as they stayed trued despite all the potholes and rough roads. i did replace the LW via their crash replacement...but wasn't worth going that route.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

quattro100

by quattro100

Leaning towards enve given they have good support in Hong Kong. Anyone tried the new brake tracks? I can get the 4.5t with ck45 cermaic for about 40 percent cheaper than the new version with enve hub. Will the old versions brake power be sufficient on dry day downhill rides?

mimason

by mimason

^ Yes no problems downhill dry.

superdx

by superdx

quattro100 wrote:Leaning towards enve given they have good support in Hong Kong. Anyone tried the new brake tracks? I can get the 4.5t with ck45 cermaic for about 40 percent cheaper than the new version with enve hub. Will the old versions brake power be sufficient on dry day downhill rides?

Cool which shop are you going to for that?

quattro100

by quattro100

Went with a local shop in hk and it takes 45 days. ordered 4.5 enve hub tubular. Let's see how it goes.

quattro100

by quattro100

Have a choice of Decal color. Default going for black on black. My frame is F8 952 (Black red white)

Anyone try having other color of decal on enve 4.5? (e.g., white, silver or red). Hard to find any pics on internet as I suspect 99% guys pick black on black which can't go wrong.

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Ive seen that frame with 3.4s and white decals. It does look good due to white on frame. Definitely dont go red or silver. I personally think that setup should be murdered out all black as much as possible since the frame has all the red and white needed....so black tape, saddle, black on black stem and bars.