New Zipp NSW Wheels - Showstopper any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Just amazing.....data provided by mavic shows mavic is best....[emoji33]

spartan

by spartan

sometime it is better to analyze before making quick ignorant statements.

mavic does not have the best dry performance..

the data is interesting to see how reynold vs bontrager vs zipp vs dt..

zipp marketing claims showstopper delivers in the wet. there hubs are crap and so is there wet performance
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

Yeah, but no-one really cares about dry performance because everything's more or less the same (as long as the rim doesn't melt). Being cynical, you could say it's an easy one to give away to gain a bit of credibility then people will be more inclined to believe that they really do win the important one, which is wet performance.

That said, I'm very surprised to see that Zipp supposedly come dead last, and some interesting ommissions in the test, including Enve and Campa/Fulcrum. Especially since as mentioned Campa's existing rim treatment sounds very similar to Mavic's new one.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It had been interesting to see how they did this test and what pads they used.
I can hardly believe that the latest Zipp is the last. Actually i don't!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

clipsed

by clipsed

wheelsONfire wrote:It had been interesting to see how they did this test and what pads they used.
I can hardly believe that the latest Zipp is the last. Actually i don't!

I am with you.

stormur

by stormur

It's not issue of faith ... that's fact :welcome:

Short poll :

Zipp wheels are :

1. Lightweight
2. Stiff
3. Reliable
4. Have good braking
5. Reasonably priced
6. Customizable

7. None of above :mrgreen:

goodboyr wrote:Just amazing.....data provided by mavic shows mavic is best....

EU law says that if you make an any advert by comparison to other products you MUST ( as manufacturer/dealer ) a. show its names b. provide real data and use same procedure for all products c. in tests you must use all stuff as recommended by certain manufacturer ( brakepads in this example ). Not following those rules is/ can be painfully expensive.

I'm not a Mavic fan, not at all. But such documents are basically most reliable for all "claims" given.

Sure Mavic could use certain speed and amount of water to get desired results, but it had to be achievable in "normal conditions" . Again ... regulations.

We have rule even for proper banana curvature in EU, so evrything is under control :mrgreen: ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

gospastic

by gospastic

I have put about 250ish miles on the wheels so far, but no wet weather yet. Dry braking is fine as expected. The hub is really different sounding, everyone I've ridden with keeps asking me if my bike is okay. It sounds like a bag of bolts tumbling around back there when coasting, apparently. The decreased resistance is noticeable though, When backpedalling it feels like you have no chain on your bike.

jdc5r

by jdc5r

I have the NSW 404's and previously have had bora 35/50 with the new surface. Zipp's are definitely better. Seems like more outright braking power but also more modulation.

Bora's were on both the supplied pads and also black prince. NSW 404's are on supplied pads.

I cant feel the diff with the cognitive hubs though. It definitely sounds diff though.

gospastic

by gospastic

Did a wet ride on the wheels yesterday. Braking is okay, better than my 2014 202 Firecrest clinchers. But the pads are pretty worn now.

TH3FRB

by TH3FRB

wingguy wrote:
superdx wrote:I'm affected by the hub recall and my LBS refuses to tell me when I'm getting my wheel back. Every week they say they don't know.

In defense of your LBS, I'm pretty sure that if they tell you they don't know, they genuinely don't know and they can't find out. The brick wall you feel like you're running into with them is actually the brick wall they'll be running into with SRAM.

There is a tracking system for the recall. Your LBS should be able to see where your wheel is in the process - transit in either direction or being rebuilt. I've already had 2 wheels taken care of and they have both been under 2 weeks door to door.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

RoadBike Magazine did a test of Zipp wheels a few years ago and their results seem to agree with Mavic's results of their wet braking performance. Very linear, but not a lot of grab ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

http://www.roadbike.de/test/parts/im-de ... 5142.9.htm (404's and their cork pads)
http://www.roadbike.de/test/parts/roadb ... 20.9.htm#1 (303's and their Platinum Pro pads)

I'd love to see Mavic's Exolith compared to their (i)TgMAX

This is an area I'd love to see more data. I think everyone is pretty tired of aerodynamic data showing minute differences, but we haven't really seen braking performance tests from manufacturers, so :thumbup: Mavic.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Do the NSW use the new v10 hubs a la 2016 404 Firecrest?
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

wingguy

by wingguy

No. 188/88 v10 on the Firecrest is a further update on the existing design. Cognition hubs on the NSW is a completely new design with no carryover from the 188/88.

Zipp do have a website that says this stuff, BTW.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The v10 Firecrest is a 177/77 FYI, it's on their website: http://www.zipp.com/about/story.php?ID=664
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wingguy

by wingguy

So you've found it now! Well done. Yeah, 7, 8, close together on the keyboard innit?