New Zipp NSW Wheels - Showstopper any good?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

han1337

by han1337

I wanted to ask if anyone is already running those?
Does not matter if 808, 404 or the new 303.

How good is the "Showstopper" brake track really?
Thinking of getting a clincher wheelset for my training rides, for the nice summer days ahead :)

Maybe someone can compare the braking to the older Zipp wheelsets.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Just place a bet how long it takes before another Zipp hub recall ;) :D

P.S. I run 2 FC wheelsets so I'm also affected, but, given the Zipp pricing, for new wheels I would explore other brands. And, if you live in the flats, any "improved" braking isn't such a big deal for you anyway.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

han1337

by han1337

mrlobber wrote:Just place a bet how long it takes before another Zipp hub recall ;) :D

P.S. I run 2 FC wheelsets so I'm also affected, but, given the Zipp pricing, for new wheels I would explore other brands. And, if you live in the flats, any "improved" braking isn't such a big deal for you anyway.

Not flat.

But you are probably right on the hub recall .. the new hub adds lots of possibility for things to go wrong..

I would be happy to hear about the brake track anyways :)
Having used Enve 6.7 tubs for a while, and then switching back to the 404 firecrest tubs, I am much more happy now..

Maybe the newer generation Enves are better, but still the Enve brake pads are not that good...
There are lots of positive comments about enves here, which is why I got them in the first place.
I like the looks of them and the aero-ness, but the braking sucks.

Riding in Alpine Territory is not good idea with the Enves.

With the Zipps, I have never had much trouble.

superdx

by superdx

You may want to check out the ENVE's again for 2016 models as they have the new brake track surface. Textured which should mean good stopping power from physics alone.

I'm affected by the hub recall and my LBS refuses to tell me when I'm getting my wheel back. Every week they say they don't know. I'm very tempted to pick up a set of 2016 ENVE 3.4s or 4.5s and sell the Zipps when God knows I'll get them back. You may find your NSW wheels recalled next year. It's amazing how much it sucks to ride on backup alloy clincher wheels.

wingguy

by wingguy

Enve have a new set of brake pads to go with the new braking surface too.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

I'm really curious about that new brake track as well. Though to be honest not sure if I'd ever shell out the money for Zipps.

I had an earlier set of Firecrest clinchers (2012's) and the braking was terrible. I experimented with multiple different pads, including of course those that Zipp recommended. Compared to Reynolds and Enve which I also owned, the braking was noticeably worse, in my opinion.

If braking is a concern, I'd really do some research on Reynolds. I do a lot of climbing myself, and a lot of very steep descents which are perfect for carbon clincher meltdowns. My Reynolds have always performed the best and continue performing the best once they're hot - which is where I feel Enve's lack a bit when compared to Reynolds. Plus, they're cheap and they have great customer service.

I've also heard great things about Campagnolo / Fulcrum's new "3Diamont" brake treatment... not sure, but people around here seem to really swear by them for great braking.

bearsdidit
Shop Owner

by bearsdidit

superdx wrote:You may want to check out the ENVE's again for 2016 models as they have the new brake track surface. Textured which should mean good stopping power from physics alone.

I'm affected by the hub recall and my LBS refuses to tell me when I'm getting my wheel back. Every week they say they don't know. I'm very tempted to pick up a set of 2016 ENVE 3.4s or 4.5s and sell the Zipps when God knows I'll get them back. You may find your NSW wheels recalled next year. It's amazing how much it sucks to ride on backup alloy clincher wheels.

We got our first batch back and the total time was 3 weeks.

superdx

by superdx

bearsdidit wrote:
superdx wrote:You may want to check out the ENVE's again for 2016 models as they have the new brake track surface. Textured which should mean good stopping power from physics alone.

We got our first batch back and the total time was 3 weeks.

Great to hear. Outside of the US though I don't think they care. The distributor has been bouncing me back and forth and supposedly I will maybe get the wheel back next week. The entire process has been unsettling to say the least.

gospastic

by gospastic

Just got a pair, the brake track is quite textured. Have yet to ride outside, but I have heard that stopping power/modulation is great but will eat through pads quickly.

arizonahalfnhalf

by arizonahalfnhalf

gospastic wrote:Just got a pair, the brake track is quite textured. Have yet to ride outside, but I have heard that stopping power/modulation is great but will eat through pads quickly.

Get back to us and let us know after a few rides, very curious. I know they've just rolled out the 303's in "NSW" version, would love to see some 202's if the new brake track is worth while.

wingguy

by wingguy

superdx wrote:I'm affected by the hub recall and my LBS refuses to tell me when I'm getting my wheel back. Every week they say they don't know.

In defense of your LBS, I'm pretty sure that if they tell you they don't know, they genuinely don't know and they can't find out. The brick wall you feel like you're running into with them is actually the brick wall they'll be running into with SRAM.

superdx

by superdx

gospastic wrote:Just got a pair, the brake track is quite textured. Have yet to ride outside, but I have heard that stopping power/modulation is great but will eat through pads quickly.

This is NSW right? Brake pads are fairly cheap to replace.

wingguy wrote:In defense of your LBS, I'm pretty sure that if they tell you they don't know, they genuinely don't know and they can't find out. The brick wall you feel like you're running into with them is actually the brick wall they'll be running into with SRAM.

Probably yeah. Pretty much settled I'll never buy anything SRAM/Zipp again. Hypothetically, getting back into riding shape after serious injury takes a year. If you could pay $2-4k on an alternative product that won't collapse on you, it's like the best health insurance you'll never have to use. And hospitals/rehab/physio blows.

fogman

by fogman

arizonahalfnhalf wrote:I've also heard great things about Campagnolo / Fulcrum's new "3Diamont" brake treatment... not sure, but people around here seem to really swear by them for great braking.

I have 2 sets of Bora wheels with the 3Diamant brake track and concur that the braking is exceptional.
It's all downhill from here, except for the uphills.

tb123

by tb123

Yes, the showstopper brake track is good. I have a set of 202 Firecrests and a set of 404 Firestrikes. I never had a problem braking with the 202's, but the 404's are definitely better - not night and day, but better. I ride hills most of the time and love descending so they get a fair workout.

spartan

by spartan

mavic introduced there new all carbon clinchers they included some data on braking distances.

zipp did not fare very well the rain. btw campy diamante surface finish very similiar to mavic aproach.

Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com