Which 50mm carbon clinchers for a puncheur?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

My 404s just went in for the recall and they say it will be at least 2 months. I need an off-the-shelf replacement (no time to custom build).

I'm a 172# puncheur/sprinter, so wheel stiffness and fast pawl engagement are priorities. I don't break spokes but I do have plenty of issues with chainstay tire rub and/or brake rub, even on the stiffest frames (one of my bikes is a Velocite Magnus).

Clearly a good option would be Enve 4.5 with the Chris King R45 option, but they are pretty pricey. Suggestions appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Way too much money. What you need is a wide 50mm deep carbon rim laced to hubs like DA9000 WI T11 e.t.c that give good bracing angles. CK45 hubs are just too expensive for they are a hub.

Chainstay rub how the hell do you manage that? Wheelss should hardly flex there unless they are really floppy.

Try Renoylds wheels. Why not run something cheaper for the next two months maybe a decent alloy clincher set. Youd be surprised how well a wide medium depth rimmed wheelset performs.

Marin

by Marin

Or ask the member above how fast you can get a custom set from him, that's what I'd do 1st. No idea how long his waiting list is though

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

bm0p700f wrote:Way too much money. What you need is a wide 50mm deep carbon rim laced to hubs like DA9000 WI T11 e.t.c that give good bracing angles. CK45 hubs are just too expensive for they are a hub.

Chainstay rub how the hell do you manage that? Wheelss should hardly flex there unless they are really floppy.

Try Renoylds wheels. Why not run something cheaper for the next two months maybe a decent alloy clincher set. Youd be surprised how well a wide medium depth rimmed wheelset performs.

Chainstay rub is common on frames with clearance issues. I had a frame that would visually accept 25mm tire just fine but during spring efforts it exhibit tire rub. I tried another wheelset, same result. Over time it shaved off ~ 1 mm of carbon (if I had to guess). I mounted 23mm back on and sold the bike. Previous generation Cervelo had clearance issues.
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

I would say the Campagnolo Bora Ultra Dark 50 people love this weelset and the price is unbeatable.

Multebear

by Multebear

WonderSausage wrote:My 404s just went in for the recall and they say it will be at least 2 months. I need an off-the-shelf replacement (no time to custom build).

I'm a 172# puncheur/sprinter, so wheel stiffness and fast pawl engagement are priorities. I don't break spokes but I do have plenty of issues with chainstay tire rub and/or brake rub, even on the stiffest frames (one of my bikes is a Velocite Magnus).

Clearly a good option would be Enve 4.5 with the Chris King R45 option, but they are pretty pricey. Suggestions appreciated!

Just buy whatever you like or are able to get fast. This is hardly a problem.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Multebear wrote:....Just buy whatever you like or are able to get fast. This is hardly a problem.
Agreed.

But whatever you can afford with the money you'll win at your races over the two months.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Second the Bora 50s but would get the one version rather than the ultras as better value and ad you will have your 404s too. Bora's very laterally stiff and flawless hubs.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

WonderSausage

by WonderSausage

Picked up the Reynolds Assault SLGs today, did a quick 5 miles to test (got them after my daily ride). They do seem reasonably stiff. Braking is better than gen1 Firecrest but not as good as Boras (the Reynolds grab a bit soft at first). Freehub noise is medium. Ride quality is similar to, but not as bad as, previous Reynolds carbon I've ridden (e.g. gen1 Assault CX). Definitely more vibration coming through than either Firecrest or Boras. I'd recommend using their tubeless capability to maintain good ride quality. I'm using Turbo Cotton 24c with Bontrager latex tubes, and it mostly makes up for the buzzy nature of the Assaults but not quite. All told, they are definitely a good value at $14xx.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

There should be almost no flex at the chainstays though. The wheel has to be improperly dished or very flexible to rub the stays. the flex at the brake track is lot more. So if you get 1mm of movement at the stays you would 3+mm at the brake track and you will know about that. This is why is makes no sense. Therefore it is not the wheel that is flexing but the stays themselves.

nlouthan

by nlouthan

Or is it really just the tire flexing?

ahf

by ahf

mpulsiv wrote:
bm0p700f wrote:Way too much money. What you need is a wide 50mm deep carbon rim laced to hubs like DA9000 WI T11 e.t.c that give good bracing angles. CK45 hubs are just too expensive for they are a hub.

Chainstay rub is common on frames with clearance issues. I had a frame that would visually accept 25mm tire just fine but during spring efforts it exhibit tire rub. I tried another wheelset, same result. Over time it shaved off ~ 1 mm of carbon (if I had to guess). I mounted 23mm back on and sold the bike. Previous generation Cervelo had clearance issues.

Ah - perhaps you can answer this. I have a 2012 R5 VWD and need new wheels. What rim width will this take? Seems to be hints that new wider 28mm rims are no go. But is something up to 25mm ok? Cannot find anything definitive on this. Any help appreciated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It depend where the clearance issue is, the chainstay or at the seat tube, tyres on wide rims get wider and taller. 25mm wide rims fit into practically every frame you then just pick a tyre that gives you enough clearance.

There is no standard bead to bead distance for a 23mm or 25mm tyre. I bet the wheel moved in the dropouts for the above poster. Wheels just dont flex much at all at the chainstays.