Vittoria Magic Mastik removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

Did anyone already ? What did you used for the job ?
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FMB51

by FMB51

This is the first post I've seen about removing the MM. All of the other ones have been dedicated to stories of disappointment with the product. Have you used it satisfactorily??

stormur

by stormur

I did for others many times; zero problems. I holds as supposed to. I glued mine tires recently. Didn't noticed also any complaints about Magic Mastic from people which really used it.

Q is more for future.

Where I live roads are rather rough in surface, so lifespan of tires noticeably shorter.
Mark Twain

PinaRene

by PinaRene

The video says it can be done with your finger .... just rub it of the rim, don't know if you tried that. I just glued my tires 2 days ago with MM and I don't want to take them off now :mrgreen:

by 11.4

We didn't have good luck with Magic Mastik, but we did find it just rolled into a ball and came off the rim. Not reassuring, of course, but at least getting rid of it was easy. It also comes off the tire without too much difficulty. We tried the usual solvents and didn't find anything that worked faster.

stormur

by stormur

Define precisely "good luck", please.

Edit. don't bother- I already know :( . From removing MM from rim I'm already expert ... it doesn't stick to it so well, BUT it sticked to tire perfectly, it's basically like bonded forever. So next problem is how to ( or not to ) remove it from tape ???
Mark Twain

by 11.4

stormur wrote:Define precisely "good luck", please.

Edit. don't bother- I already know :( . From removing MM from rim I'm already expert ... it doesn't stick to it so well, BUT it sticked to tire perfectly, it's basically like bonded forever. So next problem is how to ( or not to ) remove it from tape ???

For what it's worth, if you glue Mastik One over Magic Mastik, it makes the Magic Mastik peel off easily. Even on the tire base tape. So I'd be very cautious. Scrape as much of the Magic Mastik as you can with the edge of a file to give yourself a bit of a new surface to adhere to. I found that putting another coat of Magic Mastik on the base tape and brushing it in really hard with a stiff brush (even a small wire brush) will help make the Magic Mastik at least stick more permanently, so you can glue over it with Mastik One. I'm still experimenting at this point, but that's the best solution I'm finding so far, short of tossing the tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stormur

by stormur

Exactly that I found too. I brushed tire with tiny steel brush - then applied Mastik1- holds more than fine. It seemed like basetape just soak magic mastic, instead of just bond to surface.
Mark Twain