New Michelin contender for low Rolling Resistance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

This article had some good info on what Michelin has been up to with tire development, and the new tire actually sounds pretty good: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ted-46688/

It is strange that they do the real world test on a track that is open to the wind, but at least it was an oval with a bunch of riders.

No comparison yet to other class leaders, but these actually have a puncture resistant belt which is nice.

Altogether it sounds like a big step forward for them, which is nice because I have been hating on Michelin's lame tires for a while now. It's not that they were so awful, it's just that we are talking about Michelin for God's sake. With all of the tire know how and resources they have from motorsport, it was really disappointing to see them being mediocre for so many years.

superdx

by superdx

Seems like they can't be purchased yet, good upgrade next year when my current Pro4s start wearing out.

I don't think Michelin tires fall into the category of "lame". Those would have to be Schwable tires that you find on bikes with cheap kit or no-name tires that OEMs use to cost cut. Pro4s are significantly better than those.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

Off topic, but I picked up a pair of the Pro4 V2 Endurance, and have been pleasantly surprised. I have the 25mm version, and the comfort, handling, and wet-road perormance have all been superb. On top of that, after quite a bit of mileage, no cuts whatsoever. On our surfaces that is amazing. Seem to be just as durable as a Gatorskin, but much, much better feel and performance.

Now that I've made the switch to tubeless, I wish they made these (or any tire) for that purpose. Shame.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

TheKaiser wrote:This article had some good info on what Michelin has been up to with tire development, and the new tire actually sounds pretty good: http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/arti ... ted-46688/

Faster than the Pro4 SC is a very low bar. I'm guessing they don't compare them to Conti for good reason.
formerly rruff...

Svetty

by Svetty

Classic advertorial :roll: :roll: - I wonder how much advertising Michelin has promised Bikeradar?

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

Chainreaction Cycles has them in stock now, but at prices that make me say "no thanks".

$66-78

Marin

by Marin

Let's wait for the RR tests

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Marin wrote:Let's wait for the RR tests

Totally! I wouldn't even pay $20 before test results land on http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Impressive! http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... ition-2016

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

WinterRider

by WinterRider

Svetty wrote:Classic advertorial :roll: :roll: - I wonder how much advertising Michelin has promised Bikeradar?

Well said. :mrgreen:
Litespeed 2000 Appalachian 61 cm
Litespeed 1998 Blue Ridge 61cm

Fitness rider.. 1 yr from seven decades age.

That is my story and I'm stick'n to it.

kgt

by kgt

"Michelin has made some great advancements in the rolling resistance department with the new Power Competition road bike tire [...] The Michelin Power Competition now fits perfectly between the Continental GP4000S II, Schwalbe One V-Guard, and Vittoria Corsa as one of the top performing road bike tires with average puncture resistance."
So not just an advertorial

Bourquek

by Bourquek

Awesome news! I'll buy a set. I wonder if everyone will start switching over from the much praised and nearly infallible Continental GP 4000 as the new go to training and racing clincher.

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

Bourquek wrote:Awesome news! I'll buy a set. I wonder if everyone will start switching over from the much praised and nearly infallible Continental GP 4000 as the new go to training and racing clincher.

GP4000s II is a great tire, but for training I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance. The Pro4 E isn't nearly as fast, but it's reasonably comfortable, and longer wearing. I'm stocking up on Pro4 E tires for training.

Marin

by Marin

BoSoxYacht wrote:GP4000s II is a great tire

Considering the harsh ride, and the now numerous competitors with similar or lower rolling resistance, I'd go as far as saying the GP4k is not a really great tire anymore. I gave away my last pair after selling the one before for cheap.

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

Marin wrote:
BoSoxYacht wrote:GP4000s II is a great tire

Considering the harsh ride, and the now numerous competitors with similar or lower rolling resistance, I'd go as far as saying the GP4k is not a really great tire anymore.

So what is a great non-tubeless clincher,in your opinion?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com