New Michelin contender for low Rolling Resistance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Petterii

by Petterii

Flapmeat wrote:The Power Endurance tires look to be perfect for what I do, but definitely want to hear some reviews before buying.

I have riden apporx 2k km with 25mm Power Endurance. I really like them. In Finlands rubbish roads they have performed brilliantly. No cuts or flats. Ride isn´t as supple as lighter tyres but it´s ok. Before i used V1 Pro4 Endurance and compared to those Power Endurance is really an upgrade. Ride is pretty much the same as in Vittoria CG 25mm. Mind you that i use butyl tubes.

Rush

by Rush

TheKaiser wrote:Altogether it sounds like a big step forward for them, which is nice because I have been hating on Michelin's lame tires for a while now. It's not that they were so awful, it's just that we are talking about Michelin for God's sake. With all of the tire know how and resources they have from motorsport, it was really disappointing to see them being mediocre for so many years.

I agree. I used to ride on Michelins a lot (Krylion, Pro Optimum and Pro Endurance) but I swapped to Continental a few years ago (Gatorskin, GP4 seasons and GP 4000 S II) and haven't looked back.

I've used Michelin on my road cars over the years and they are brilliant tyres. And we all know they make great tires in motorsport. No doubt their bicycle tires have been neglected for a few years now, I'm keen to see how these compare to Continental's offerings.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

*Thread Bump*

I've put around 500km on my Michelin Power Competitions (203 & 205g in 23c).

REALLY rate these and have have no issues (220lb rider). Super fast and are on completely different level compared to the Schwalbe Ones I swapped them out for.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

cobrakai

by cobrakai

Good to hear. I think when I run out of my current stock of GP4000 I'll give these a try. Although that might be a while since I stocked up pretty well when Ribble had the GP4000 for $25 each.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

anymore update?
i tested a pair (23c) and got unreparable cuts.
First tire die in the first week (rear tire).
Second one (front) before it is 2 months old.
Both with long 2cm cut from the side wall.

i'd like to hear more from other people to see if it is my bad luck, bad batch or it is normal for this tire.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've had one puncture on my set over past 500km.

One thing I will add, these are definitely a fair weather tyre. Their grip in the wet is quite frankly dangerous compared to Conti GP4K2S...

Will stick with them on my race bike for the spring / summer.

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Hexsense says:
"i tested a pair (23c) and got unreparable cuts.
First tire die in the first week (rear tire).
Second one (front) before it is 2 months old.
Both with long 2cm cut from the side wall
."

ryanw says:
"I've had one puncture on my set over past 500km.

One thing I will add, these are definitely a fair weather tyre. Their grip in the wet is quite frankly dangerous compared to Conti GP4K2S...
"

It is almost comical how different your real world experiences are from this recently posted review, which basically says "great grip, very good durability":
http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... ion-50156/

BTW, there are a number of comments following the article from users with similar issues to yours, both in terms of durability and grip.

savechief

by savechief

They may be fast, but I have found the Power Competition to cut more than any other tire I've ridden. 4 or 5 flats in 8 months due to small flecks of glass that got embedded in the tire and over time made their way to the tube, resulting in a slow flat.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Time VXRS Ulteam (7.16 kg)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=120268

ave

by ave

So far I rode at least 8 000 km on a pair of 25mm Powers, and zero problems, and even the rear isn't too worn. A super tire.

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I will be running these this summer but in a 25c form. Only a little more weight and the added comfort for 100km+ rides will help out for sure.

Wingnut

by Wingnut

I'm going to have to try some of these...I stopped riding Michelin's years ago because they wore out so easily but I'm interested again...

gsindela

by gsindela

ave wrote:So far I rode at least 8 000 km on a pair of 25mm Powers, and zero problems, and even the rear isn't too worn. A super tire.

Which model of the Powers are you riding? Competition, Endurance, Protection, or All-Season?
2015 Storck Scenero G3, Force 22, Ultegra wheels, Zipp AL bars, stem, post

ave

by ave

Competition

Delorre

by Delorre

Just fitted a pair of 25mm power competitions. Weight was 416gr, pretty low for 25's, but still 50gr penalty compared to my (worn) force/attack combo. Ride quality is better for sure, especiallly filtering of road buzz. Bigger impacts remain a bit harsh, but that has to do with the Addict frame not being very compliant. They seem to roll very well, dry grip is confidence inspiring. Will see how the age. So far, so good.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sd5500

by sd5500

I have a set of 25mm comps on the way, so I'll post back after some saddle time.