New Michelin contender for low Rolling Resistance

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

So what is a great non-tubeless clincher,in your opinion?

You can see a long list http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com Specialized Turbo Cotton and Vittoria Corsa (open) G+ graphene are an excellent choices to upgrade from Continental 4000SII
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

mpulsiv wrote:

You can see a long list http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com Specialized Turbo Cotton and Vittoria Corsa (open) G+ graphene are an excellent choices to upgrade from Continental 4000SII

There's great information on that website, but my comment about the GP4000IIs a great tire was actually questioning another poster's opinion that it a great training tire. I was conceding that it might be great for some people, but my point was that it's not a great training tire.

I use Michelin Pro4 Endurance for training because it rides well, is durable/long wearing, and dirt cheap.

Today I ordered 3 of the new Michelin Power Endurance tires, and a few Pro4 Endurance tires(just to stock up on a known favorite training tire). I'll report back on the new Power Endurance in May.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cobrakai

by cobrakai

mpulsiv wrote:

The Vittoria G+ doesn't seem like an upgrade from the GP4000sII from a puncture and rolling resistance perspective. The Turbo Cotton is definitely faster but also definitely worse with punctures and probably wear. I use the pro4 endurance on my commuter/rain bike and it has been long lasting and only one flat in the three years I've been using it. They are also only around $30 from the UK websites. I have the GP4000sII on my weekend/fair weather bike and I think it provides a good balance between puncture resistance, speed, and wear. They also continue to test at the top of the heap aerodynamically. Comfort is another issue and I don't have experience with Vittoria or Specialized tires but to my butt they are at least as comfortable as the old Pro4 service course. You can also find them pretty cheap from the UK websites, typically $35-40 sometimes with a free tube. If I were racing I would go for something like the Turbo Cotton or Conti Grand Prix TT on race day.

If these new Michelin's continue getting good reviews I'll probably pick up a pair to try on the fair weather bike. Pretty sure I'll continue to stick with the Pro4 endurance on the commuter.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Two power competition should arrive in a couple days, will post an impression as soon as I have it.

In terms of 4000sII vs pro4:

I am heavy (90k+) and with Conti I was getting a rear flat every 200km on average. A few small glass or metal bits, but mostly unidentified source very small holes , probably from wires. The rubber looked like a battle field with numerous scars and cuts.

This season I put a Pro4 service course on the back and zero flats in 1200Km! Also the rubber looks ok with just a few small cuts. BUT, it sure feels slower (and its 20g heavier) than the Conti.

The power comps should bring the speed back but i'm holding my breath on the flat resistance. If they are like the contis, I guess I'll have to stock up on old service courses for the rear wheel.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Why bother honestly when GP4000S are still basically the king/proven clinchers. Of course, the new Specialized, which licensed/used Continental technical knowledge/resources, is another good source, but then again, still, why bother?

GP4000S is still a great tire. Ride isn't harsh at all..and I ride a Scott Foil, one of the harshest bikes made to ride anywhere. Run pressure about 95-100psi F/R.

stormur

by stormur

Because ( my experience with two sets of Conti 4000s2 23 & 25mm ) :
poor quality ( cord visible on sidewalls , not enough rubber )
it flats every 80km avg
sidewalls blow off ( 2 tires from 4 so 50% rate )
feel harsh ( I recommend to try hand made Italian open tubulars and light latex tubes before discussing with this statement )
are slow(er than Veloflex for example)
on non perfect tarmac wear off fast ( thread become flat -> cornering !? )
mount them is PITA

and last thing : I can afford to be honest with my opinions, I don't seat in Continetal pocket.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Marin

by Marin

Zigmeister wrote:
GP4000S is still a great tire. Ride isn't harsh at all..

To me it is. I went to cotton tires & Panaracers and I'm not going back.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

stormur wrote:Because ( my experience with two sets of Conti 4000s2 23 & 25mm ) :
poor quality ( cord visible on sidewalls , not enough rubber )
it flats every 80km avg
sidewalls blow off ( 2 tires from 4 so 50% rate )
feel harsh ( I recommend to try hand made Italian open tubulars and light latex tubes before discussing with this statement )
are slow(er than Veloflex for example)
on non perfect tarmac wear off fast ( thread become flat -> cornering !? )
mount them is PITA

Well, the devil is not as black as you're painting it...

I did well over 4000 km (including a gravel race and some cobbles) on a single set of GP4000SII 25mm (with Vittoria latex tubes) until I finally got a small leak because of a damaged sidewall, not a direct puncture. No problems mounting them on Enve rims either.

I would try the Michelins if they get good reviews, but until then, I just bought a set of Specialized Turbo Cottons and, mounted on the same Enve rims, boy, there was a difference in comfort compared to the Contis - that's the only point where I completely agree. Even before the Specializeds, when I compared Contis to my tubular wheels which are all on 22mm Veloflex, I felt some "woodenness", but no direct comparison was available until I mounted the Turbo Cottons.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

104kg rider, 570km on GP4K and not a single issue.

Just swapped over to Schwalbe Ones due to a big flat spot on the Contis from a knob head pulling out in front of me.

Definitely keen to hear your reviews on these new Michelins!.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

stormur

by stormur

I know personally people extremely happy with GP4000s . IMHO product inconsistency is the reason of so opposite experiences.
This way or another unacceptable.

Sidewalls... aren't common issue ?

Really words doesn't end at Conti. There's plenty other (better) choices.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Just mounted the michelins and did a quick spin.

They are light indeed, 208g on my scales. They definitly feel fast, sticky and planted. Sidewalls are a bit scarily thin. Will report again after i put more serious distance on them but so far i am very happy (also got them pretty cheap on a promo)

MikeyBE

by MikeyBE

One month on - how are you finding the Power tyres Alexandrumarian?

Marin

by Marin

Also very interested in another report!

Can you compare the ride to open tubulars / high TPI tires?

Flapmeat

by Flapmeat

The Power Endurance tires look to be perfect for what I do, but definitely want to hear some reviews before buying.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I have about 1500 km on Michelin Power Comp 25 mm. Rider - 185 lbs (80kg), 90 psi rear, 87 psi front. Mounted on 32 spoke SL23.

Overall I rate them highly. Out of the box they are thin and supple feeling. One the bike feel light and very fast. I am particularly impressed by the fact that I have zero cuts in front or rear - not even a tiny nick. Also durability is good for this level of tire. Ride quality falls somewhere between the muted feel of GP 4000 and various open tubular type tires (veloflex, Vittoria, etc.). Good road feel if not quite the high level of feedback of the best open tubulars. Traction is good, although I get some scuffing noises when nearing the limit of adhesion. I might give GP 4000 the traction edge in terms of extreme lean angles in hard cornering.

No wet weather experience.

A very good high end clincher but nothing earth shattering. When the current set wears out I will buy again.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com