25mm Tubeless Tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

boysa

by boysa

@ Geoff... Are you referring to the Formula Light? How are you finding them in terms of durability? I am just about to pull the trigger on the RBCC's. Seem like a middle-ground between the models.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shonanmike

by shonanmike

The IRC Formula Lights at 23mm measure at about 26mm wide on Pacenti v2 rims and are much more durable than the Pro Ones. The Pro One's lasted about 1000km until the fibres in the tire were visible. Decent ride quality but not tubular level. The IRC ride better than the Schwlabe in my opinion and are much more durable. The IRC 23mm tires weigh about the same as the Schwalbe Pro Ones 25mm (240g).

Ihe IRCs are cheaper (in Japan) than the Pro One.

boysa

by boysa

Thanks, that helps a lot! I'll order up some Formula Lights and give them a go. My experience thus far with the Pro Ones has been as you described: good, but not great. I've been surprised not necessarily at how easy they cut, but at how the cuts seem to penetrate so deep.

That being said, I had my first "puncture" the other day, and I was impressed at how quickly it sealed itself. I don't know if I lost more than a few psi.

Chrisisism

by Chrisisism

I have the the Schwalbe Pro One 25 tubeless.
Monted on VENN REV35 and VENN Alter44 wheels.

The version that came out Autumn 2015 held up about 1000km, but became wobbly. I got my money back from bike24 for this version.
The 2016 version received from Wiggle were very different in sidewall feeling and rubber, a bit more like the One tubeless tire, but a bit less stiff. It was about 15-20g heavier than the first version.
It has held up much better, now 1000km+ and still OK.
The mounting of these tires are excellent with 1 layer of tubeless tape.

I now received Hutchinson Fusion 5 25 tubeless Galactic. I have not been able to fit them even with 2 layers of tape. They are very large in diameter. Anyone else had any luck mounting these?

I use the Bontrager Flash Charger TLR pump

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I only have around 500km on my formula lights currently but no issues. I have schwable ones on another bike and I they are cut the sealant has dumped all over the road e.t.c not even 1000km on them yet. I dont think the grip or the ride is that good either.

The IRC X guard is crap roads tyre. Probably commutors would use it I should I commute alot of miles a week.
The Roadlite is IRC's general purpose tubeless tyre. Think of it as a Schwable pro one but with better grip and longer life.
The IRC RBCC is the grippy tyre and probably the best one of the bunch if you dont mind the price.

Do you the hutchinsons wont seal or you cant get them onto the rim?

Chrisisism

by Chrisisism

The hutchinsons won't seal. They are way bigger than the PRO one so easily mounted

boysa

by boysa

Thanks for the run down. I ordered two of the Formula Lights, but if I find them too fragile for the conditions here I'll try the RBCC.

peted76

by peted76

Tempted by the Formula Lights.
Has no one any news or experience with the SWorks Turbo tubeless yet, too new, not out yet.. ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

If tyres wont seal (this happens on MTB's) wrap gorilla tape round to build up the rim and then refit they will seal. Had to do it with MTB tyres on some rims that where so loose they fell off by themselves.

beatle

by beatle

bm0p700f wrote:1. Beatle comments might refer to the IRC roadlite. The 25mm tyre is 27.5mm on 20mm internal width rims. I dont find that width affecting steering in a negative way.
2. That is a problem with your bike.

In fact all of the IRC tubeless tyres are excellent and there are 28mm versions coming too.

1. Yup, roadlite.

2. Nope, changed back to 23 mm and steering was not sluggish anymore.

dvdslw

by dvdslw

pushstart wrote:I have a set of Pro Ones in 23mm for the road bike; good to know about these durability concerns.

I would avoid Hutchinson Fusion3 or Intensive tires. The Intensives ride worse than Gatorskins and the Fusions were far less durable than the Schwalbes -- or any other non-race tire I have used. I have heard good things about the Sector, but I won't buy Hutchinson again.

I think anyone looking at a lightweight tubeless "race" tire like the Pro One's or IRC "Race Lite" goes into that purchase expecting a tire that will be fast but also fast wearing. I'm getting some pretty good riding in on my Pro One's so far with minimal rear wear since November. It would probably be a good idea to rotate them front to back every 90 days or so to increase their usable lifespan but that involves work which I do enough of off the bike so maybe not?

The Fusion 3's on the other hand are an extremely long lasting tire that rides pretty decent in my opinion. I've worn out two sets of 23's and one set of 25's without any tire related failures. I got a ton of miles out of each set but I found the 23's to be quite a bit more lively feeling than the 25's. Biggest problem now is after experiencing the awesome ride quality of the new Pro One's I just can't see being happy with the Fusion's again for a daily driver, maybe a training tire or backup though?

pushstart

by pushstart

That was definitely not my experience with Fusion 3s, but it is certainly possible they improved the tire -- or I had bad luck. I couldn't get more than 1000 miles in a rear Fusion 3. I lost one to sidewalk blowout after just a couple hundred miles. And then the others would just flat if I rolled over anything with edges. I went through 5 tires in a season and decided to go bak to GP40000S tires which rolled faster, weighed less, and were more durable :-)

But then I decided to try Schwalbe One tires and they feel so nice, roll relatively fast, and have been super durable. I am hooked on (road) tubeless since.

I am glad to her others have had more positive experiences with Hutchinson.

dim

by dim

I'm new to tubeless, and wanted a tyre that would be pretty fast but durable for winter for long distances (I have started doing audax rides)

From what I read on forums, The Hutchinsos Sector 28's are highly spoken of, and I saw a few comments on the 2017 IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless road tyres. I never read a bad comment on the IRC, so ended up getting them

so far so good .... I've only cycled 835km with them so far and have no problems what so ever. I have them on my Giant TCR with HED Belgium Plus rims with Chris King R45 hubs. I have the 25's and on my rims, they measure 25mm

They keep pressure, grip exceptionaly well .... They roll ok and I would say that they roll faster/better than Continental GP4000 SII. (I have not been able to find any results for rolling resistance yet)

My previous tyres were Specialized Turbo Cotton and I'm definately going to get another set next year..... not for durability, but for speed, but saying that, they still looked fairly new after 900km without any punctures (I have them in storage for next spring, and will fit them to my daily commuter

lots of new tubeless tyres ....

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/214416-buyers-guide-tubeless-tyres-%E2%80%94-all-your-options-new-technology-rubber
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dim, be careful with those file tread IRCs, I’m pretty sure they have a defective construction. My buddy and I both had the same horizontal slits form in our beads, leading to quick air loss and an unsealable puncture. His happened at home while his bike was parked, mine happen on a steep technical descent.

dim

by dim

TobinHatesYou wrote:dim, be careful with those file tread IRCs, I’m pretty sure they have a defective construction. My buddy and I both had the same horizontal slits form in our beads, leading to quick air loss and an unsealable puncture. His happened at home while his bike was parked, mine happen on a steep technical descent.

thanks .... I will be as careful as possible .... these are the new 2017 IRC with the wider tread .... I have only heard good things about them, and your post is the first negative

I have also read that one must not use tyre levers (if possible) with these as you damage the beading .... my LBS fitted mine.... they were tight, but he fitted them without levers

There are special tyre levers for tubeless tyres if you really have to use them .... did you and your friend use tyre levers?

here is the description from the place I bought them from in the UK:

https://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections/road-tyres/products/2017-irc-formula-pro-rbcc-tubeless-road-tyres

quote:
The IRC Formula Pro RBCC tyre has been revised. It is race tyre with the empahisis on grip and durability. It truely is a game changer and IRC and I am not guilty of hyperbole either.

The rice bran ceramic compound (RBCC) has been revised to improve wet grip. IRC claim a 4% improvement and a 10% drop in rolling resistance. These are race tyres and have been race proven in the U.K throughout 2017. After a season racing by Team on Form the tyres are not even close to worn and have helped the riders clock up wins.

here is a video explaining the tyre levers .... watch from 8min 30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mq_7EFJDwfo
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com