25mm Tubeless Tyres

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

peted76

by peted76

So, I've been running 25mm Schwalbe Pro Ones for the past eight months... great feeling tyres, I do notice the difference from running tubes previously.

No problems for seven months, then in the past month I've had two punctures. The first was big (now repaired) and the second I discovered I didn't have enough sealant in to seal it, OR maybe I just didn't shake the bottle enough when I added the sealant, I don't know....

Anyway fixed hole, put back on rim, pumped up to seat them with no sealant in and I can feel air coming out... upon closer inspection I find along the sidewall, for about eight inches air is leaking or seeping out (84PSI), also it's seeping out actually on the tread in some areas!

I know I've no sealant in, BUT I wouldn't have thought these tyres would effectively be porous and that you'd HAVE to use sealant. Apparently you do, now I know.
The Schwalble rep in the UK said that the older 'One' Tubeless didn't leak but they've taken off the butyl layer on the inside for weight saving (makes sense I guess, no need to have a static layer and a sealant layer doing the same thing).

Anyway, I was exploring other performance based Tubeless options out there.. there aren't many at 25mm it seems.
I thought I'd seen a rolling resistance test somewhere, but my google-fu skills have deserted me at the moment.

Nice article here on currently available options: http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/182 ... ogy-rubber

Question, does anyone have any news or experience of the new S-Works Turbo Road Tubeless ? (I like the idea of 26mm) - Will this be available in Europe soon?

Question, does anyone have any news or experience with the IRC Formula light Tubeless tyres in 25mm? - e.g. how to they hold up on pot holed and rough roads? Are they a race day only tyre or suitable for a weekend warrior like myself?

Are there any other 25mm options either available now or coming soon that anyone is aware of that I should try?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I just began using tubeless, mounted up some Schwalbe Pro Ones, and FWIW, mine held air fine without sealant. I was impressed.

I also am interested in other options, however, as I'm not finding them durable enough for our road conditions. They seem to have such a thin layer of rubber on the tread, I can't see them lasting very long.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

25mm is pretty limited (tubeless in general, is pretty limited). Specialized makes the S-Works Turbo Tubeless in a 24 and 26mm size, as well as a Roubaix Road 23/25 (one size, don't know what that means).

Bontrager makes the R2 and R3's in a 24 and 26mm size.

Hutchinson makes the Fusion 3 in a 25mm, and the Intensive 2's in a 25mm size, and if you wait a little bit, their new Fusion 5's will be available in 25mm tubeless (Galactik, Performance and All Season).

Marin

by Marin

Panaracer and Vee Tire

jeffy

by jeffy

I recall reading about a Sector 26 (as opposed to 28). Had great experience with the 28.
Tried the Pro One in 28mm over winter but got an unsealed tear in one after a couple of months, and due to concern over getting stuck in bad weather i stuck some tubes in them for the rest of the winter.

Will probably mend the cut and try them again.

bikerector

by bikerector

Maxxis also has the padrone and padrone TT I think is also available in 25mm.

beatle

by beatle

I really like the IRC, better than Schwalbe IMHO. I race them and commute on them. On a Pacenti 23 rim, the 23 mm measures at 25 mm and the 25 measures at 28 mm. The 25 mm were so wide it affected my steering in a bad way.

I use Orange Seal , btw.

boysa

by boysa

I'm also using Orange Seal, and not to derail this but I'm happy with 23mm, as well. The Schwalbe 23s on November Rails measure 26mm+. The 25s would be too wide. I'll look into IRC.

pushstart

by pushstart

I was really happy with my Schwalbe One (non-pro) 28mm tires. 3 tires lasted me 5k miles with no flats (one puncture that sealant sealed), so can't complain (there is some life still on the second rear tire). I have a set of 25mm Ones that I will eventually put on, but right now I took a detour and tried the Specialized Roubaix Pro 2BR 30/32mm tires (30mm tread size, 32mm casing); this is on my commuter/cx bike. If the smaller Specialized roll like these, I would stick with the Schwalbes; they felt significantly faster, but the Specialized at $40 are definitely a good value.

I have a set of Pro Ones in 23mm for the road bike; good to know about these durability concerns.

I would avoid Hutchinson Fusion3 or Intensive tires. The Intensives ride worse than Gatorskins and the Fusions were far less durable than the Schwalbes -- or any other non-race tire I have used. I have heard good things about the Sector, but I won't buy Hutchinson again.

jeffy

by jeffy

@boysa what is the inner/outer measurements of your nov rails?

boysa

by boysa

I'm not home, but maybe Dave will see this and jump in with the answer. Otherwise, I'll get the outer measurement for you asap. As for the inner, I'd prefer not to take the tires off just yet!

Daydreaming...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have the IRC formula light 25mm tyres on Pacenti SL23 V1 rims on my race bike. Fantastic tyres. More grip than the schwable ones fairly light and ride comfort is excellent. Mine come up at 26.5mm on my rims. Beatle comments might refer to the IRC roadlite. The 25mm tyre is 27.5mm on 20mm internal width rims. I dont find that width affecting steering in a negative way. That is a problem with your bike.

In fact all of the IRC tubeless tyres are excellent and there are 28mm versions coming too.

boysa

by boysa

@jeffy... Measuring to the center of the braketrack, I get an average of around 26.4mm (outside). The rim tapers, so it's a touch less at the tip. I think the more important number is the inside measurement, but as I said, I'd prefer not to pull the tires off. I should've checked when the rims first arrived, but to be honest, I was too excited to get them mounted up and give this tubeless "experience" a go. If you contact November I'm sure they can give you exact specs.

boysa

by boysa

@bm0p700f... Looking at the IRC lineup, I find it a bit confusing. The Formula Light is described as a "Race Day" tire, so I'm wondering how durable it is. Also, is there much difference between the RBCC, X-Guard, and Roadlite? I'd like to pick a set of these up to try, but unsure where to start. Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

I am running those on a set of Shamals as part of my 'long-term test' of the tubeless system as a whole. I actually like the tires quite a bit. I am also running a set of Shimano C-24s shod with Hutchinson tires. The Specialized are the equal of those in quality, but you can run them with even less pressure due to the volume. The tires ride more like a 'conventional' 22/23 tire than a 25, if that makes any sense...