Dura Ace C50 Tubulars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

macktheknife

by macktheknife

Afternoon guys,

I've picked up a nice set of C50 full carbon tubulars and am wondering what tyre width are best to go for.

Rim width is 24mm.

I'm thinking of 22mm on the front and 25mm on the back,

Thoughts? Should i just stick with 25mm all round?

I'm 80kg's, so not the smallest guy in the bunch!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

You can do 22mm if you are looking for a more aero profile. I'd probably run a 23 up front though personally with those. Your choice on the back or do 25s all around if you have the clearance.

Skunkworks

by Skunkworks

Is 22mm tubular tyre on 24mm rim bed more aero?

There could be a small gap between the tyre and edge of the rim bed.
Turbulence could occur while air crosses the gap and that's why Mavic made CXR01 tyre-rim blade.
1mm gap at each of rim bed edge is small though :)

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

The thing I'd be most concerned about with gluing a 22mm tubular to a wider rim bed is a potentially poor bond at the edge of the tires, the exact place you want the bond to be the strongest. The radius of the rim bed might be too great for the tire and the tire would want to pull up from the rim and potentially be easier to roll off. Conversely if you put a fatter tubular on a narrower rim then the tire tends to push down on the edges of the rim and wants to pull up in the middle. But you could always build up the middle of the rim a bit like they did in Cyclocross to get a more uniform bond across the entire rim bed. Personally I like the same size tire both front and back but if you want to go narrower up front I'd use 23mm minimum.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

macktheknife

by macktheknife

I'm also quite concerned about the potential of a poor bond at the edges, where the tyre would be 1mm narrower on each side. I've actually went with 24mm both front and rear to save on any potential grief.

cheers for your thoughts all the same

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mimason

by mimason

Skunkworks wrote:Is 22mm tubular tyre on 24mm rim bed more aero?

There could be a small gap between the tyre and edge of the rim bed.
Turbulence could occur while air crosses the gap and that's why Mavic made CXR01 tyre-rim blade.
1mm gap at each of rim bed edge is small though :)

I guess it would all depend on which tire and the profile once mounted and if the 22mm is actually 22mm. The tires I ride measure slightly larger. I have some 21mm tubs on narrower rims(older 7850s). Like I said though I wouldn't do that combo.