training 11 speed hub

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

blondie

by blondie

i am looking to get an 11 speed hub for a training wheel i am building up. what would be a good lower end, it would just be for training rides, are novatec's any good, or just go with an ultegra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

blondie wrote:i am looking to get an 11 speed hub for a training wheel i am building up. what would be a good lower end, it would just be for training rides, are novatec's any good, or just go with an ultegra

Novatec 291/482 is a solid hub. I have 15k miles on a set of training wheels, and have had no issues. I wish they offered them with a silver finish.

pavel

by pavel

Miche RG2 hubs are a nice and well built choice.

blondie

by blondie

also it needs to be a 24h

blondie

by blondie

did a little searching on ebay and came across a rear hub called circus monkey hrw2 not liking the name but if it works for a training wheel i dont care what they call it. any info on it

Marin

by Marin

Bitex if you aren't super heavy/powerful, or Novatec.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Keep it simple stupid and go with ultegra

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

spookyload

by spookyload

I have a pair of Reynolds 24 hole hubs that came out of a set of Assault disc wheels. Centerlock. If you need disc hubs, I can make you a better deal than what you are looking at.

Multebear

by Multebear

Ultegra doesn't come in 24h.

Circus Monkey is the same as Bitex, only difference is number of pawls. I wouldn't recommend any of them since they aren't properly sealed, which shortens bearing life considerably. If you like changing bearings often, this isn't a problem though.

Novatecs are decent, but don't ride forever. Only viable option mentioned are the Miche RG2. You can get them in black as well - Miche Primato Syntesi. They come in all drillings incl. 24/20 and 24/24, if that's what you need.

When it comes to hubs, I've found that there's no shortcut. You can only get two out of three regarding: cheap, durable and light.

But honestly, if it where me, I would invest in some Dura Ace hubs and be done with it. They are not cheap, but very durable and reasonably light.

spookyload

by spookyload

Plan B could also be the road DT 350. Available for road in 24 hole with shimano and campy freehub. You won't find a hub that allows more flexibility than that. You can change the freehub and endcaps to whatever you choose if your bike changes down the road. Thru axle, QR, 142x12, 135x10, 130x9...choices are yours.

junchen

by junchen

spookyload wrote:Plan B could also be the road DT 350. Available for road in 24 hole with shimano and campy freehub. You won't find a hub that allows more flexibility than that. You can change the freehub and endcaps to whatever you choose if your bike changes down the road. Thru axle, QR, 142x12, 135x10, 130x9...choices are yours.

I think the flexibility is for dt 240, not dt 350.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Miche RG2 or Primato hubs is what I would go for or the novatec A171/F172. the miche hubs are very reliable. I would not call the novatec F482 a solid hub. Bearing life in the U.K and I imagine in most of northern europe is well short. Stopped offering them in builds because of this.

DA9000 hubs are excellent but I dont think they are training hubs. training kit should be cheap in my book.

spookyload

by spookyload

junchen wrote:
spookyload wrote:Plan B could also be the road DT 350. Available for road in 24 hole with shimano and campy freehub. You won't find a hub that allows more flexibility than that. You can change the freehub and endcaps to whatever you choose if your bike changes down the road. Thru axle, QR, 142x12, 135x10, 130x9...choices are yours.

350 rear can use any 240 end caps. The front is stuck with what comes on it.

junchen

by junchen

spookyload wrote:
junchen wrote:

350 rear can use any 240 end caps. The front is stuck with what comes on it.

Tks for the correction [emoji5]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

bm0p700f wrote:Miche RG2 or Primato hubs is what I would go for or the novatec A171/F172. the miche hubs are very reliable. I would not call the novatec F482 a solid hub. Bearing life in the U.K and I imagine in most of northern europe is well short. Stopped offering them in builds because of this.

DA9000 hubs are excellent but I dont think they are training hubs. training kit should be cheap in my book.

I've had different experience with Novatec hubs, but rain is very rare in Phoenix AZ. This is also the reason that I can get well over 50k miles out of Stan's Alpha 340 hoops.