Was Chinese Carbon Wheel Advice now, recommend me some wheel

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ste_S

by Ste_S

I’m probably going to end up buying some Chinese carbon wheels and would like some advice.
I’m a big unit at 200lbs (all muscle honest ;)), typically ride on rolling terrain and it’s for a ‘best’ set of wheels for dry weather. Bike is a Cervelo R2.
UK roads and weather, so roads can be a bit rough and the weather can be windy at times in spring/autumn.

Would prefer clinchers due to ease of roadside repair, but not adverse to tubular if brake track heat build-up is still a problem on clinchers.
Will be running 25mm Velolflex Corsa with latex inners if clincher, and 25mm Conti Comps if tubular (I don’t mind a more fragile tyre on clinchers).

TL;DR – Clincher or Tubular ? Rim depth – 50mm front and rear ok, or should I go 35 front, 50 back ?
Initially looking at Asian Cycle Express as I can pre-pay Tax.
Last edited by Ste_S on Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

go wide for the rims it helps with cross winds alot. Heat build up wont happen in the u.k. if using clinchers why not go with tubeless there is a new tubeless corsa coming very soon. Tubs of course are nice to use too.

Why go with shallower at the front. the front has the lions share of drag, if you are going to deliberatley increase it why bother getting wero wheels at all.

BikeAnon

by BikeAnon

Ste_s, I'm thinking of doing the same thing you're doing, though tubulars are not in the equation.

In your research, what have you decided on for hubs and spoke count?

tomycs

by tomycs

Ste_S wrote:
TL;DR – Clincher or Tubular ? Rim depth – 50mm front and rear ok, or should I go 35 front, 50 back ?
Initially looking at Asian Cycle Express as I can pre-pay Tax.

If you have some shallow aluminiums for the Abigail/Desmond type weather I would go with 50mm. Tubular or clincher is down to personal preference, I have both 38mm clincher and 50mm tubulars and while I do prefer the tubulars for speed and more importantly comfort, I hate the amount of work required to change tyres for specific purposes (training vs race vs going a bit off-road for instance).

Marin

by Marin

Clincher, get tubeless rims so you can go tubeless if you want to, go 25mm wide U-shape - it really helps in crosswinds. At your weight I'd use 28 spokes in the rear and maybe use thicker spokes on the DS.

Ste_S

by Ste_S

Thanks for all the replies folks. Here's where I'm at with my thinking. I want a nice smooth ride, with a tyre system that isn't going to be too much faff to sort should I puncture 30-40miles away from home in the middle of nowhere.

Clinchers - It's what I'm mostly used too, and in theory open tubulars with latex tubes should provide that tubular ride with a minimum of fuss. Having said that, I've bought some Veloflex Corsa 25's and Vittoria Latex tubes... only to find Veloflex tell you not to use them with Carbon Clinchers.

Tubulars - I do love tubulars, I even enjoy the gluing experience. However 'nice' tubulars don't tend to do so well on city streets before I get out into the countryside. I've previously (regularly) had <500 miles on Vittoria Corsa CX's
I've had sealant fail on me, and the thought of wrestling with properly glued tub 40miles from home makes me worried. I'd probably want to run something more durable like Conti Comps or Schwalbe Ones, but then am I defeating the object of running tubs by running something less supple ?

Tubeless - I have no experience off. I have read that because of the stronger sidewalls they're not that supple. Is that true ?

TL;DR - I'm unsure about carbon wheels now. Are my (and Veloflex's) fears about carbon clinchers unfounded ? Are Conti Comps are supple enough for tubulars ? Do tubeless give a nice ride ?
I may just stay traditional with aluminium rims...

Multebear

by Multebear

No reason to choose 35 mm front. With your weight, I'd even consider 60 mm or more. You'll have no problems controlling 60 mm front wheel.

I've no experience with tubulars, since clinchers are so easy to deal with. I use Conti GP4000 tires and latex tubes, which is a very fast combination on my 50 mm carbon clinchers.

My china rims are from Farsports. I have only good things to say about them, as have many other users on this board.

erwanco

by erwanco

Hi,

I just posted an unboxing / initial review video of my YoeLeo Super Light 38 mm clinchers on my YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/sCzgqlFmE5I

I will be reviewing them again soon after a few thousand kms of riding, so feel free to subscribe. Leave your questions in the comment section! So far, so good, rear wheel a bit of out true but it might just my bunny hopping curbs.

moonoi

by moonoi

I run a Novatec R5 wheelset on my P2 and I'm quite a bit heavier than you are (235Ibs). Very easy to control in even the strongest winds, so I'd suggest going with 50mm front and rear.

Solid wheelset, even contacted their US customer service as I was concerned my weight would be an issue, and they recommended that the deeper rims are actually better for a heavier rider, but also that they don't have a rider weight limit on their wheelset which was also comforting. Only cost me $700 USD as well.

Ste_S

by Ste_S

So, I'm pretty much decided on tubs now - Veloflex Roubaix/Arenberg.
Now however, I'm also considering aluminium wheels.

Chiefly, I want a smooth 'magic carpet' ride. Can I get that with a carbon 50/60mm Carbon wheel set ? Or is it best going for a more traditional wheel set built around something like Ambrosio Nemesis rims ?
As before - 200lb rider, rolling terrain, mostly dry weather only

Marin

by Marin

Wheel type doesn't affect the ride at all in my experience.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Marin wrote:Wheel type doesn't affect the ride at all in my experience.

Ride CCU, swap to Ax Stream 38 and/ or Easton Aero 55 and tell me you will not feel a difference!
I would be amazed if you did not!
All 3 tubulars.

Also, to take this even further... Look at the new No tubes Avion Team or Pro.
I am waiting for my Avion Pro and as far as i have understood, these are actually designed not to ride stiff (vertically).
I will use them at my new ride (Open UP/ Unbeaten Path).
Actually, i have been waiting for my bike 4½ months just because i want Avion Pro.
Had i swapped wheels, i could have had my bike months ago. But i refuse.
Took some time to contact Bob Cummings to see what his refection was on Avion.
It seems, Avion will do make a serious difference.
I think i could not get back to give you a fair response. Because the UP will use disc brakes and the other bikes are rim brake bikes.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com