Another zipp hub recall

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mrlobber

by mrlobber

sawyer wrote:I've sent mine in ... had a JRA this morning ... flange exploded

Mine is silver

****, and I've still kept riding my 2011 Firecrest tubs (silver hub)... :? :?
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

whosatthewheel

by whosatthewheel

superdx wrote:
spookyload wrote:It is ironic how knowing a failure is possible makes them a different wheel set. Sort of like riding with a big cut you see in your tire before you ride. You rode it for who knows how long without knowing, but now that you know, every piece of glass you see makes you positive you are going to get a flat.

Yeah I was pretty happy rolling along on my wheels until the recall announcement. Even after I get my wheels back I suspect I'll be thinking that my wheel is going to buckle and I'm going to wake up in a hospital.

Looking into other wheelsets now.

If you don't trust Zipp hubs, you can have it rebuilt on a different hub, obviously it won't be free. Last year, before the recall I did rebuild a rear one... funny at the time the problem appeared to be the rear hub with the radial drive side, but the recall is for the front... :roll:

https://whosatthewheel.com/2014/12/27/z ... t-rebuild/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

mrlobber wrote:
sawyer wrote:I've sent mine in ... had a JRA this morning ... flange exploded

Mine is silver

****, and I've still kept riding my 2011 Firecrest tubs (silver hub)... :? :?

Are you sure that is a recalled hub?

In my experience (for what it's worth) it seems to have been getting the wheel trued, that obviously changed the tension around the spokes, which stressed the flange ... and then BOOM!

So for anyone with a recalled hub ... watch out for this
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

CampagnoloRules

by CampagnoloRules

These hubs were made for Zipp by a company called Prodigy in Mooresville, Indiana. Their "factory" looks like a dump in Google Street View. A Google review by one of their employees made it sound like a sweatshop, LOL. So many bike wheels are ridiculously overpriced junk. Can't wait to get rid of my HED Ardennes and buy a set of Campy Bora Ones.

sawyer

by sawyer

CampagnoloRules wrote:These hubs were made for Zipp by a company called Prodigy in Mooresville, Indiana. Their "factory" looks like a dump in Google Street View. A Google review by one of their employees made it sound like a sweatshop, LOL. So many bike wheels are ridiculously overpriced junk. Can't wait to get rid of my HED Ardennes and buy a set of Campy Bora Ones.

are you referring to this state of the art facility?

----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

rkan

by rkan

Does anyone have the original wheel weights compared to the new ones? Or maybe there are weights for the hubs?

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Just got mine back from the LBS this week - apparently new spokes and all, but I'm not 100% confident that the LBS knows that for sure.

Anyone know if that's their policy?

gtinut

by gtinut

sawyer wrote:
CampagnoloRules wrote:These hubs were made for Zipp by a company called Prodigy in Mooresville, Indiana. Their "factory" looks like a dump in Google Street View. A Google review by one of their employees made it sound like a sweatshop, LOL. So many bike wheels are ridiculously overpriced junk. Can't wait to get rid of my HED Ardennes and buy a set of Campy Bora Ones.

are you referring to this state of the art facility?

from google looks like some other company is located there.

parajba

by parajba

I am really annoyed.

I own a pair of 404 tubs that I was going to sell (brand new Veloflex Carbons on them). I now have to strip it and send it to my LBS, get it fixed, and glue it again. I will have to pay my LBS for the glue job as I don't have time to glue it myself. Really annoyed as Zipp made my sale virtually useless, and definitely painful. Just compare the situation I am in with "Pack it up and put it ebay".

One thing is for sure, I will not buy Zipp wheels again. The number of recalls in relation to their hubs is incredible. Doing recalls is a noble and respectful thing, but there is a limit to my patience. They should not fail like this, simple.

gospastic

by gospastic

parajba wrote:I am really annoyed.

I own a pair of 404 tubs that I was going to sell (brand new Veloflex Carbons on them). I now have to strip it and send it to my LBS, get it fixed, and glue it again. I will have to pay my LBS for the glue job as I don't have time to glue it myself. Really annoyed as Zipp made my sale virtually useless, and definitely painful. Just compare the situation I am in with "Pack it up and put it ebay".

One thing is for sure, I will not buy Zipp wheels again. The number of recalls in relation to their hubs is incredible. Doing recalls is a noble and respectful thing, but there is a limit to my patience. They should not fail like this, simple.

When I got my hub replaced, I dropped off my wheel at the LBS, told them them I want the tub removed and reattached using the same method (Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape). Zipp reimbursed the shop for labor and materials. Maybe you should inquire about that. :roll:

parajba

by parajba

gospastic wrote:
parajba wrote:I am really annoyed.

When I got my hub replaced, I dropped off my wheel at the LBS, told them them I want the tub removed and reattached using the same method (Effetto Mariposa Carogna tape). Zipp reimbursed the shop for labor and materials. Maybe you should inquire about that. :roll:

Thanks, will do. I am also discussing it with Zipp directly by email.

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

I'm in the same boat. I was looking at there 1st round of warranty that came out and said only the front hubs with the Z logo on them were effected. Bought the wheels and now looks like all 88 hubs are effected. Oh well off to LBS and Zipp they go.