S-works turbo tubular opinions?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

With Specialized producing some of the best clinchers out right now, what's everyone's thought on the Turbo tubular tyres? They made the Turbo All-round 2 last year, anyone tried it?

Justin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

by 11.4

That tire tested out really well on rolling resistance, which is the #1 goal of that particular design team. However, they don't last too long and they are relatively flat-prone in my experience, and I usually (knock twice on wood) don't flat. A number of others who have used them have had the same experience. If I can ride a Veloflex Record 23 mm and get better service and fewer punctures than with a Spec S-works Turbo, I'm really on a better tire.

Jhomewood

by Jhomewood

i see that all of the Specialized teams run these tyres but not many other people. i might try them in a 26c. The Turbo clinchers are very, very good.

RyanH

by RyanH

Anyone else run these and have experience they can share? Would be nice to have a black 26/27mm option but I'm guessing it's going to be difficult to compete with Vlaanderen on a performance/weight/ride feel basis.

Priit

by Priit

Run these (S-Works Turbo Allround 2 tubulars) last summer - 24 front/26 mm rear on Bora One's. Very supple casing, feels fast, good grip on corners, quite soft rubber compound. Riding here on chip seal roads mostly and after rides had to pick small chip seal particles from the tyres almost daily. But no punctures.
Last edited by Priit on Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

The "ordinary" Sworks Turbo tubs or the Turbo Cotton Hell-of-the-North tubs? No way I would choose non cotton Turbos over Veloflex, but the Hell-of-the-North is a very interesting tyre and I plan grabbing a pair in a month or two, expecting durability at least on Veloflex scale and definitely a leading rolling resistance too, given the results of Turbo Cotton clinchers.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

same here, very curious about the hell of the north ones. I've used Arenberg and G+, now trying to decide between vlaanderen or hells for the next pair...

Rossin67

by Rossin67

New guy here! I hope you don't mind me reviving this thread but I have some confusion I need cleared up on the Specialized tires.

Their website lists the Turbo Allround 2 at $100. Then they have the Turbo Allround (no 2) for $50. The specs listed are the same. The only difference I see is the Allround 2 has a smooth tread in the center.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sw-tu ... 504-156144

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/s-wor ... 622-155882

Then on ebay. First link is the Allround 2 for $49.99 but it doesn't have a smooth center unlike Specialized's website. The second like is the Turbo Time Trial 2 but is has a smooth center section.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-S- ... OSw8etcv5Z~

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Specialized-S- ... SwcB5cv5Z8

Can anyone explain the differences in these tires? I'm trying to figure which ones to buy. I'll just be using them for my normal daily rides and weekend A group rides. I do know I don't want to spend $100.

Rossin67

by Rossin67

And for what it's worth, I have the $40 Espoir Tubulars on another bike. I've never seen a review of them anywhere but they are actually a very nice training tire. The casing is good quality and I've never had a puncture. Smooth enough for 220tpi and a butyl tube. They don't look like anything in the picture, I think that's their cheap clincher tire shown. They have kind of a brownish sidewall. I would just get them but I like the $50 price of the AllRounds.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/espoi ... 332-156545

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Veloflex Roubaix/Arrenberg vs. Specialized S-Works Turbo Gripton All-Round 2
Weight is within 5 grams of each other.
Veloflex is 25mm, Specialized (pictured) is 26mm...
I'm not sure of the difference between the Allround 2 and Allround, I got them direct from Specialized and paid full price... $100each...

Both feel really nice and supple in the hand, the "base tape" if you can call it that, looks almost seamless on the Specialized, whereas with the Veloflex the ridge is definitely there, as it is with most tubulars...

They both feel like really nice tires. But I haven't ridden the S-Works yet, about to glue them up, maybe today. Judging by feel in the hand and rubber texture, I think they are going to be very nice. At first I thought they weren't any bigger than the 25mm Arrenberg/Roubaix, but inflated and measured, they are indeed about that 1mm bigger. Tubulars generally run very close to nominal size when inflated, unlike clinchers which have an inflated size/volume which will vary widely depending on the rim being used.

Both the Veloflex and S-Works mount on the rim without any swearing or sweat, unlike a Continental Competition.
I have yet to ride the S-Works but I suspect they will feel very nice.

Vlanderen... The ones I had were 27mm. The newest ones are 28mm. Nice tires, just a bit big in volume for my use. Plus, I'm not sure what was up with the set I had, maybe a bad batch, but they started cracking for no reason that I could think of. I really liked the dotted tread on them. Be careful when mounting, as they are VERY easy to mount. It's easy to end up with a bulge on the opposite side of the valve due to a normal stretching action as you might be used to when mounting a different tire. But I'm not really used to mounting tubulars larger than 25mm, so maybe it's just the nature of the larger volume tires.

Vlanderen...

Vlanderen mounted on Campagnolo Bora Ultra AC3...

I also have a set of Specialized Turbo Cotton clinchers in 24mm mounted on some Camaganolo Neutron rims. These are probably the most supple clinchers I've ever felt, and is one of the reasons I was prompted to try the S-Works Turbo Allround 2 tubulars. I'm sure the Hell of the North version is very nice, if you want something that big.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Rossin67

by Rossin67

So the tires in the ebay links don't look to have the Gripton logo on the sidewall. May be an older version with a different compound? Who knows. I may just order the $50 AllRounds on their website. I see no other difference besides the smooth center section.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Just open up a “chat” with Specialized online and ask them what the difference is. I would think they’d be able to tell you, but depends on who you get on the other side.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

bruno2000

by bruno2000

I allways wanted to know why the Specilized pro team like Quick-Step en Bora are riding S-Works cotton tubulars and once the 'climbing' classics are starting and the grand tour racing, they change to the non-cotton tubular?

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

bruno2000 wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 1:43 pm
I allways wanted to know why the Specilized pro team like Quick-Step en Bora are riding S-Works cotton tubulars and once the 'climbing' classics are starting and the grand tour racing, they change to the non-cotton tubular?
At least for this year, the Hell Of The North 28 mm is the only S-Works tubular available to buy (for consumers) with a brown/tan gumwall. If you want a narrower tire you have to go to the all-black S-Works Allround 2. They are however priced the exact same and I'm pretty sure the casings are similar as well regardless of appearance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com