Which wheels for Dogma F8?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheGoldenGreek

by TheGoldenGreek

Hi guys

I was lucky enough to score a sweet deal on a Dogma via private sale (at a heavily discounted price for a brand new frame which was replaced under warranty) and want to purchase a wheelset and want some opinions on what to get?

Currently I ride an 14/15 Evo Hi-Mod with Enve 3.4s (DT240 hubs) and although they have proven to be great I may want to get something else or at least I'm willing to hear other people's suggestions on here.

Again not adverse to buying Enve again but I want an all-rounder carbon clincher (ideally - don't know much about tubs other than the usual stuff) that ideally keeps the weight down. Ideally around a 50mm hub. Some brand suggestions already made have been:

- HED (Jet 4/6 Blacks)
- Mavic (someone has recommended CXRs but I don't know about Mavic)
- Zipp (404 FCs? - don't really like them on an Italian but it's got Di2 so maybe that doesn't count)
- Corima
- Lightweight (seriously considering however they are just TOO expensive and delicate for my own good)

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Corima or Lightweight for me. LW are anything but delicate btw.
Last edited by kgt on Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

I have Corima MCC S+ 47's on my red F8 but they are tubulars. Can post an image if you like. As you have gone down the DI2 path (same here) why not Fulcrums...... Still Italian
BB

Coffee & carbon

TheGoldenGreek

by TheGoldenGreek

kgt wrote:Corim or Lightweight for me. LW are anything but delicate btw.

Megale my experience with them hasn't set my heart at ease about their robustness. I had a mate who had one effectively explode on him causing a major accident. Wheel was sent from Aus to Germany with a replacement set provided. I had another friend who chipped two spokes with one of them eventually breaking applying a tyre lever to the wheel when replacing a tyre on the side of the road.

What I cannot debate is their performance as I have ridden on them many times and they are far superior to anything I have ridden in the past. The only other issue is the price as they are very expensive her in Aus.

beanbiken wrote:I have Corima MCC S+ 47's on my red F8 but they are tubulars. Can post an image if you like. As you have gone down the DI2 path (same here) why not Fulcrums...... Still Italian

Yes. Please. Love to see how they look. Can you tell me your thoughts?

Fulcrum for me is Campagnolo. Just blasphemy. Bahahaha.

kgt

by kgt

TheGoldenGreek wrote:Megale my experience with them hasn't set my heart at ease about their robustness. I had a mate who had one effectively explode on him causing a major accident. Wheel was sent from Aus to Germany with a replacement set provided. I had another friend who chipped two spokes with one of them eventually breaking applying a tyre lever to the wheel when replacing a tyre on the side of the road.

Bad luck or improper use maybe. LWs are robust enough for cyclocross.

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

Take a look at the Bontrager Aeolus carbon clinchers. Areo, wide and tubeless compatible. They feature DT Swiss hub internals, have external nipples (makes it easy if you have to true them). Real weights for my Aeolus 5 set including tubeless strips is 840g rear, 690g front.

mimason

by mimason

Keep the ENVEs. I have no idea why you are even considering changing them unless you just want another set. Focus on building the rest of your frameset. If you want a fresh look buy new decals. None of what you listed are really any nicer.

You can always decide later after riding the 3.4s if you want a change but having an f8 too i think tou will like that combo.

TheGoldenGreek

by TheGoldenGreek

mimason wrote:Keep the ENVEs. I have no idea why you are even considering changing them unless you just want another set. Focus on building the rest of your frameset. If you want a fresh look buy new decals. None of what you listed are really any nicer.

You can always decide later after riding the 3.4s if you want a change but having an f8 too i think tou will like that combo.

I am keeping them. I am not touching my Evo so everything on that will stay on that as I still plan to ride it so the F8 is a fresh build. Given I'm running DA on the Evo I ideally could go something deeper than the 3.4s and interchange them potentially hence why I'm asking for suggestions.

Multebear

by Multebear

mimason wrote:Keep the ENVEs. I have no idea why you are even considering changing them unless you just want another set. Focus on building the rest of your frameset. If you want a fresh look buy new decals. None of what you listed are really any nicer.

This. All of it.

But if you really want something else just as nice, and you find LW to expensive, then Campy Bora Ultra.

mimason

by mimason

Many on this forum wont consider Boras and di2 but i do. Im a substance over style (or rather tradition )person though. So im on di2 with bora one 50s and its damn good. If you get the willies then fine maybe add reynolds to the mix for options. There are new 4.5s with a gen2 brake track so that should also be an something to consider.

TheGoldenGreek

by TheGoldenGreek

mimason wrote:Many on this forum wont consider Boras and di2 but i do. Im a substance over style (or rather tradition )person though. So im on di2 with bora one 50s and its damn good. If you get the willies then fine maybe add reynolds to the mix for options. There are new 4.5s with a gen2 brake track so that should also be an something to consider.

Yeah I can't do it. Just doesn't look right for me. Admittedly I wasn't planning on buying a F8 and was probably going to build a Bianchi Oltre XR2 with SR and Boras. I'm thinking possibly doing Enve SES 4.5s with CK hubs potentially? Are they still better that the DT 240s I'm running on? Does anyone know?

beanbiken

by beanbiken

Hope this works as I am a newbie at posting images.
Love the wheels. Braking in the dry with the Corima pads is smooth, quite and progressive. Don't ride in the rain so cannot comment on that. Seems that they are a little more susceptible to side winds than my Zipp 303 FC's but certainly not enough to be of any greater concern.

https://imgur.com/a/M8zwL

Steve m
Last edited by beanbiken on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
BB

Coffee & carbon

arthurf

by arthurf

Nothing wrong with 404's on an F8, I'm running this (with Campy) and it works really nicely. If an F8 and 404's are the bike of choice for Wiggins and his team then why not.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I still have not figured why most of the guys never mention Easton Aero 55 (especially tubular version)?
I have yet to find something to complain about, but i find nothing!
I thought i would find some real downsizer coming from CCU and Ax Stream 38.
But on the contrary, they are super fun and ride feel is much better than expected.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.