pre-glue spare tub if using tape?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

are

by are

I'm just getting started w/ tubulars, so of course I dread the eventual first flat. I've read much of the sticky threads in the forum; it's like a 2nd job there's so much material at this point. I'm planning to try the new Effeto Mariposa tape, since it seems to be easy and well regarded. What do you do if you flat and need to use the spare tub? The rim would be theoretically totally clean, i.e., non-sticky, when putting on the spare. Would it be smartest to put glue on the spare beforehand, so it is somewhat tacky when mounted?

Also, with wide tubular rims, is one of the lightweight tufo's still the best option for a spare? Aren't they awfully narrow for the new generation of rims?

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Denavelo

by Denavelo

You need glue on both surfaces (Rim + Spare Tubular) for it to work effectively.

Don't be scared of something that seems to be advertised as over complicated (Gluing wheels)

Some people have good and bad results with Tape, but almost everyone experience good results with gluing. Me personally, I don't like the side to side play you get with tape. Cornering hard you can feel an wince of tire roll. I don't feel that with glue. Going deep into a turn and feeling your tire roll a slight bit can affect the rest of your ride. Over compensating for what you feel is an inevitable tire roll off situation. JUST USE GLUE!

It can be a therapeutic process when working on your bike. I glue all the time and never think twice about it.

Talking about it will freak you out more than actually just doing it. Get some quality brushes and use light coats. It's like painting inside of the lines. Make sure you glue the inner side walls of your rim. Keys to stability when your tire is mounted. Don't just glue the middle channel.
Rob English "Mudfoot" 29er | Focus Izalco Max | Firefly #194 Stainless XCR | Firefly #277 | Neilpryde Bura SL 11.9 | Crust Evasion Lite

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Is it therapeutic or are you just getting high off the fumes ;)

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

The manufacturer's advice regarding "emergency ride home" mounting of spare tubular when the flat tire was mounted with Carogna tape is given in several answers on http://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/products/carogna-family/carogna/. In short. pre-apply glue to the spare you carry on your ride, just as you would if using glue instead of tape.

sawyer

by sawyer

Truth is that if all you want is a get me home tub, then you don't need any glue on it whatsoever

Do pre-stretch it though, as it will make the roadside mounting easier

And then just take it easy riding it
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

joec

by joec

I always pre glue as it gives an option to mount without the tape for a "limp home" scenario

sawyer

by sawyer

joec wrote:I always pre glue as it gives an option to mount without the tape for a "limp home" scenario

But you can do that without tape and glue as long as you don't corner hard
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

by 11.4

It's a lot easier to do a roadside flat replacement if your spare is actually a used tire -- it's stretched out, it's more supple, and it already has some glue on the base tape. The suppleness is an important point that's often missed -- if the tire is brand new, it tends to sit high on the rim, while after some miles the rim side tends to flatten out a bit and match the rim better, and the whole tire relieves whatever tensions were introduced by manufacturing and the tire simply lies straighter and smoother. I've used plenty of new tires as spares, but under the saddle is a tough place for a tire due to chafing, weather, and so on, so a used tire will pack up compactly and serve the purpose just fine. It will also stick better to the road if conditions are wet or in any way slippery because any lubricant or mold release compound on the rubber will have been rubbed off long ago. Buy a used but functioning tire from a team mate and save new tires for new glue jobs.

As for tape, I'm one who's had inconsistent experiences -- a great glue job on one tire, a bad one on the next, even on the same pair of wheels. I'm still not clear why when rims, tires, glue history, and everything are identical on both wheels. Doing eight or ten wheels at a time for a team, I'll often have one or two that don't work right with the tape, and that's enough to make everything unacceptable.

You do want some glue on the spare tire. If it's an old tire, a light coat of glue over whatever was preexisting will be sufficient. It not only holds the tire on, but it also prevents creep of the tire against the valve stem. And remember that if you should be unlucky and flat again, tire pressure isn't going to hold that tire onto the rim. The guy with the unglued spare mounted halfway through the ride who's in the middle of the pace line and flats again can go down and take others down before he can even get clear. It's just not safe.

I don't usually recommend Tufos for most purposes, but this is an exception. If you are carrying a spare, try out a Tufo S3 Pro. It's light, supple, very compact, and quite bulletproof. And inexpensive. It folds down to the size of a pack of cigarettes or smaller. I do recommend these, even new, as good tires for use as spares. They aren't really all that bad generally (this model, anyway -- it makes a nice track tire for concrete or asphalt track surfaces). Because there's no stitching under the base tape, they start out fitting the rim tire bed better than almost anything else. A good spare tire.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com