Kinlin XR31 (BHS C31w) experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Hi,

Looking for some feedback on the XR31 rims (I think bikehubstore calls them C31w)
I've used the XR200 and XR300 and rate them highly (considering cost), and now looking for something as cheap and durable but with a wider profile, hence the XR31.
Anyone actually put miles on these? They show up in the search for consideration of new wheelset builds but I can't find many longer term reviews.

In particular keen to understand if the off center version is worth looking at (vs the normal version) for the rear, and if it'd be OK to run them as normal clinchers (rather than tubeless).

Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I build with them. They are excellent rims. Uses stan's tape though otherwise tyres will be a tight fit.

I only use the offset rim for the rear. It helps with the tension drop you get when tiht tyres like tubless are fitted.

Why is people think that tubed tyres might not work with tubeless compatible rims. Think about it for a second and yoj will have your answer.

Also why are you still thinking about running tubes. Do you still think toeclips are a good idea for a race bike? sorry to be blunt but that iswhat i think on this matter.

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

bm0p700f wrote:Also why are you still thinking about running tubes. Do you still think toeclips are a good idea for a race bike? sorry to be blunt but that is what i think on this matter.
I use tubeless hoops(Stan's Alpha 340), with tubes because of cost reasons. When you ride about 14k miles a year, tire cost becomes an issue. Michelin Pro4 Endurance tires are only $30, ride well, and are pretty durable.

When $40 tubeless tires become available, and ride/wear like Pro4 E tires, the. I'll make the swap.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I factor in the cost of replacement tubes that adds up. Also schwable ones are not expensive and are not even the equivelent of 40 dollars in europe.

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

I get tubes for free, and punctures aren't common until tires are worn out. I also don't want to deal with the mess of a cut tire once or twice a year.

Tubeless is great for mountain bikes, but it's a joke on the road.

kulivontot

by kulivontot

Them's fighting words, can you provide your opinions on tubulars too to further devolve this thread completely off topic?

BoSoxYacht

by BoSoxYacht

kulivontot wrote:Them's fighting words

He(bm0p700f) asked the question, not me.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My comments where not off topic as the op asked if tubes could be used. They can but to call road tubeless tyres a joke is a joke itself. Try riding lots of miles on the roads i ride on with normal clinchers and you will see how many freetubes you will need. I can even throw in cold and rain in for free.

Multebear

by Multebear

HakeemT wrote:Hi,

Looking for some feedback on the XR31 rims (I think bikehubstore calls them C31w)

Haven't tried them myself, but a teammate has. And he's pretty satisfied. But I came to think, isn't the Kinlin alloy of a softer kind than other alloys? I've done 9.000 km on Kinlin xr19 rims, and I find them to be somewhat softer than other rims.

HakeemT

by HakeemT

Thanks for the replies on the rims gents.

Wasn't aiming to get into a tubes vs. tubeless debate, just wanted to know if anyone has had any issues running normal clincher tires (with inner tubes) on these rims (since that is what I'm intending to do).

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Just use stans rim tape as some tyres are a very right fit. Conti's however are fairly striaght forward (gp400s gp 4 season gatorskins).

Vittoria paves are also easy to fit. Michelin pro4's are apparantly not but i have not tried these. A customer did and failed.

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

Any idea what the ERD of these rims are?

Need to order spokes to lace this rim to a new Powertap GS hub [the 24 spoke straight pull hub].

DutchMountains

by DutchMountains

580mm.

I built a set of wheels using this measurement (Powertap G3 rear on asymmetric XR31, DT Swiss 350 front) and that worked out well. Once the bloody spokes arrive I can start building another set (for discs this time), again using 580mm as the ERD.

F45

by F45

Any reason to prefer these over the XR22T?

kafreeman

by kafreeman

Should be a bit stiffer due to the increased depth but also carry a 40g weight penalty.

I've had good luck with a pair of these rims. No issues over the past 18 months.

Trying to decide between a pair of these or carbon rims for a cross bike I built up.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com