Anyone tried the Fulcrum RACING QUATTRO CARBON clincher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

thp wrote:Not sure about these buy my friends haven't had problems with their Bora 35's and 50's on tubeless. Just make sure you choose a valve with a really large base.

any such example?
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DDX

by DDX

After riding some time with them my only complain is the freewheel has almost no sound.
Is there anything I can do to get some more noise ?

Delorre

by Delorre

DDX wrote:After riding some time with them my only complain is the freewheel has almost no sound.
Is there anything I can do to get some more noise ?

Take the freewheel apart, degrease it, and apply some (very few) light grease on the pawles. You will get the mechanical sound you want. It will not be as loud as a good broken in DT240 or something like that, but my Bora's make a nice mechanical sound when coasting!

PrimO

by PrimO

My Quattro's were near silent when they were new but have got louder since then. Theyre not super loud but loud enough to be heard when coming up behind other cyclists or pedestrians.

tomee

by tomee

They're quiet because fulcrum recommend to coat the pawls and ratchet with about 75% of grease.

i just serviced my DB version because the bearings they use arent the best.
rusted out after 2500km's.

sawyer

by sawyer

tomee wrote:They're quiet because fulcrum recommend to coat the pawls and ratchet with about 75% of grease.

Yeah, my LBS which does a huge amount of servicing of commuter and roadies bikes doesn't have a great view of the Fulcrum cartridge bearing set-up.

What's funny is the idea you still hear that because they are cartridge bearings they are fully sealed from the elements, so rarely if ever need replaced.

Not true it seems. They must see 50+ bikes per week so it's not a small sample - mostly seeing Racings 3s, 5, 7s of course
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

DDX

by DDX

Delorre wrote:Take the freewheel apart, degrease it, and apply some (very few) light grease on the pawles. You will get the mechanical sound you want. It will not be as loud as a good broken in DT240 or something like that, but my Bora's make a nice mechanical sound when coasting!

Thanks, bit more sound now :)
(Not as loud as my mavic carbon sl c)

ferrarista

by ferrarista

sawyer wrote:
tomee wrote:They're quiet because fulcrum recommend to coat the pawls and ratchet with about 75% of grease.

Yeah, my LBS which does a huge amount of servicing of commuter and roadies bikes doesn't have a great view of the Fulcrum cartridge bearing set-up.

What's funny is the idea you still hear that because they are cartridge bearings they are fully sealed from the elements, so rarely if ever need replaced.

Not true it seems. They must see 50+ bikes per week so it's not a small sample - mostly seeing Racings 3s, 5, 7s of course

Unless you always ride in wet or powerwash your bike it is normal that the bearings will rust. They are steel afterall. It is known that the bearings used by Campy/Fulcrum for their lower end is not the best. Good thing is that its easy to swap to a better quality bearing like SKF. You can also go full stainless or stainless ceramic bearings.
██

jlok

by jlok

Anyone got some close up photos of this wheelset? My friend mentioned some bad quality comment like stickers peeling off, bad workmanship, etc... but I can't believe without seeing some photos...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ferrarista

by ferrarista

jlok wrote:Anyone got some close up photos of this wheelset? My friend mentioned some bad quality comment like stickers peeling off, bad workmanship, etc... but I can't believe without seeing some photos...

Sitckers peeling off? I took off the stickers off my wheels and they were a pain. Really good bond. If you use strong solvents to clean your wheels, the stickers will eventually peel off. Any sticker will do that.
As for the finish of the wheels, you have to look really close. They might not be refinished as good as a Bora, but they don't cost like a Bora either. Quattro use unidirectional carbon and Bora 3k carbon. They had to cut costs somewhere. You can't have everything. As long as they perform its all good. You don't notice anything at normal distance. For the money they are really good wheels.

This is my wheel without stickers.
██

jlok

by jlok

Thanks Ferrari for your experience.

Given the price and performance, could we regard the Quattro Carbon as the aero carbon Zonda / R3?

ferrarista

by ferrarista

Well zonda use cup-cone loose ball bearing system which is better than the stock sealed bearings of the Quattro. Upgrading to better bearings on the Quattro is easy and not expensive. It makes it feel much better. Quattro are more aero, but almost twice the price. Someone who wants a good everyday aluminum wheel with good performance, Zonda C17 are the best bang for the buck.
██

PrimO

by PrimO

ferrarista wrote:
This is my wheel without stickers.

What is going on at the bottom of the wheel? It looks like the braking surface is running into the wheel section??

PrimO

by PrimO

I like the stickers, they're not in your face/bold and suit my bike well...I think.

norcimmus

by norcimmus

It took me roughly 3 days (1-2 hours dedicated per day once my fingers/hands fatigued) to fully remove the stickers on one wheel, whatever Fulcrum uses for the glue is stubborn. Essentially the plastic logo layer of the stickers came off but the sticky reside resided on the wheel.

A mixture of acetone, diesel fuel, time and elbow grease finally got it all off. With the amount of effort it required, I NOT going through the same pain to remove the stickers on the rear wheels.

Pre-sticker removal:

Post removal:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com