Are mavic wheels that bad?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mariovalentim

by mariovalentim

People bad mouth them so much, old design, narrow rims, crappy hubs...the only Mavic wheel that I previously had was the Ellipse a track wheelset that I really liked.

Is it really that bad or is it more a case of hive mind? I'm contemplating getting the new Ksyrium Pro Exalith it has a very competitive price, looks cool and it weights less than 1400grams

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Narrow rims, not particularly aero, freehub engagement is slow. Black brake track may also wear off over time (though that may be more of a problem with the first generation Exalith)

If you don't care about these things you'll probably like them. I'd actually skip the Exalith model since the Ksyrium Pro will have the new(er) wide rim design.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

F45

by F45

Yes, except CCU.

stormur

by stormur

CCU owners reviews aren't "enthusiastic" as well ;) "harsh" and "feel dead" are in most reviews.
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

sawyer

by sawyer

The new rim shapes and the use of steel spokes are huge improvements for Mavic

Now they just need to sort out the hub. AFAIK the nipples are fine

... that said, plenty of races are won on them!
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Nope. not awful. They get the job done. and mavic wheels tend to be quite solid. personally i just prefer the feel of other wheels.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

Tom14

by Tom14

I have an old pair of Cosmic Carbones and my GF used to have a pair of Ksyrium Elites. She trains on Aksiums now.

I think they're reliable and easy in maintenance. But when I'm going to buy a new aero wheelset, it won't be Cosmics but a set with wider rims.

Tomstr

by Tomstr

fromtrektocolnago wrote:Nope. not awful. They get the job done. and mavic wheels tend to be quite solid. personally i just prefer the feel of other wheels.

It's this for me.

Back in 2003 I could finally afford a second hand set of Ksyriums (they where the bomb back then) from a pro friend and I'm amazed to see they still run true and well. Nowadays their design seems a bit outdated but if you want a set of wheels that is hassle-free any Cosmic or Ksyrium can do the job. I like their looks too but that's personal I guess. :)
Ride it like you stole it

kgt

by kgt

People exaggerate, Mavic wheels are not that bad.
CCUs are superstiff and light with amazing looks and pro heritage. Mostly positive reviews here.

synthesis

by synthesis

I can´t comment on ride quality, only on build quality. Replaced two rims from Cosmic SL/SLR from two customers that both cracked lengthwise. got pics if interested.

mimason

by mimason

For a high mileage rider or someone hard on equipment, or heavier, I would avoid them due to wear on various parts in the hub like the nylon bushings for example. Also, for a given rim depth they were less friendly in crosswinds than other wheels I've owned or ridden. I generally liked them otherwise.

Most of their offerings make me yawn though, not wide, not aero not serviceable enough etc. The CCU's have merit and look great but not without compromises stated above.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

Not that bad at all. Had several Ksyriums from the original SSC model to the ES and they were fine, but, to be fair I can't honestly say I noticed any advantage to the Record hub with Open Pro rims I ran. Always sold them after a while as I got bored with them, apart from a set of Classic SSC's I've had since the 90's which apart from a new hub body and bush every 3 years have been faultless through many winters. I guess I don't like how they look and the hubs are not the best but they are cheap and easy to maintain. In contrast I've never sold any of my Campy wheels, they seem better made and I just love the looks
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

spookyload

by spookyload

The giants always get toppled. I remember when everyone wanted Mavic GP-4, MA-40, GL-330 and GEL-280 rims. The gold standard. Flash forward twenty years and they are back on top with Ksyrium and Cosmic Carbone. THE wheels to have. Now the giant has become a target again. Wait a few more years and they will be the wheels to have again. It is cyclic like neon colors.

mimason

by mimason

^ Especially now that they will get ENVE tech most likely.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

One of the articles I read on the acquisition opined that Enve was bought because Mavic was not competitive on technology. Well now Mavic has some technology. Expect to see a lot of Enve ideas incorporated in new Mavic products. Carbon wheels have basically taken over.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com