Real difference between 35mm and 45mm carbon wheels?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BigPoser

by BigPoser

I've been checking out the loooooong carbon wheel thread and have been wondering what the real differences are between either a 35 or 38mm rim vs. a 45mm rim. Are the aero benefits really that noticeable? From that I can tell when comparing the different depths with the same widths, there is about 100gr difference however.

Any thoughts on this? Is a 45mm rim worth it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

about 10mm

kgt

by kgt

Just choose whatever looks better on your bike IMHO.

Marin

by Marin

Sorry could not resist.

I have a set of 50x23 1330g "V-Shape" wheels. I also had a set of 38x25 1540g "U-Shape" wheels.

The most noticable difference was that the 38s were unaffected by crosswinds. No idea if they were faster, that's something you can't feel, or even measure without a pretty sophisticated protocol.

I really liked the 38s, but sold them to build a new set of 35x25s that will be a bit ligher.

All you can do is read up on tests. My recommendation would be to let looks and weight decide, and to get U-shape rims.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

^ +1.....short answer is no difference, except for weight of course.

glepore

by glepore

The crosswind difference above likely had more to do with the shape than the depth. My 50's in both wide v and u are unaffected by crosswinds under say 30mph, at which point any deep wheel would be affected.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

Bourquek

by Bourquek

For what it's worth, I have ENVE 3.4 which are the 35 front, 45 rear and I have noticed being pushed a little from cross winds on steep straight descents. I sometimes wonder if a 35 rear would have made a difference or not. Hard to say without experimenting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

boysa

by boysa

I experimented with Enve 1.45 and 1.65, and the most stable combo for crosswind was 45 front & 65 rear. Much better than 45/45. I was given the idea by a Zipp rep back at NAHBS '10. He sold me on the theory the larger rear would act as a rudder/stabilizer, and lo and behold he was right. In heavy wind, it's more of a steady push than a quick shove. Sure enough, Enve soon after came out with staggered sets.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny