A unique rear wheel build??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I am doing a clean out of my parts and came across a wheelset that I used when I raced years ago in the late 90's early 2000's local crit scene. I was in my late 30's at the time.
It was built by Dave Thomas @Speed Dream Wheels. It is built with a 9 speed 32 hole campy record hub in silver. It has cx ray spokes and brass nipples. The DS is 16 spokes and the NDS is 8 spokes,skipping every other hole on the NDS flange. It was build on Sun venus 19mm rims with re enforced spoke holes.
The front is an old AC micro hub,18 hole same nipples,spokes and rim built in a radial build. They had small bearings that needed replaced often.
It is about 17 or so years old now and I forgot about it as it was hidden under the steps on its rack. They have not been on a bike in a long time.
The wheels served me well in the crits back then and were a solid build. He was ahead of his time in building lite racing wheels at that time and this set is around 1450 grams. The build sticker on the rim says it was built in mid 1999.

victorduraace

by victorduraace

Rear lacing is stupid, add these 8 spokes and ride them, cheers

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

F45

by F45

It was a popular way to do 2:1 with the hubs available but gives a less stiff rear than if the nds flange had wider spacing. Did he select especially thick spokes or just the usual 2mm round?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

The NDS flange is not well suited to radial lacing.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Valbrona wrote:The NDS flange is not well suited to radial lacing.

Usually 16:8 is crossed on the NDS.
formerly rruff...

Marin

by Marin

Umm on the 2:1 builds I've seen - and the ones I have - the DS is crossed and the NDS is radial.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My 2:1 build use radial NDSS but the hub is made for that. Also the NDS flange is 46mm from centre.

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

Marin wrote:Umm on the 2:1 builds I've seen - and the ones I have - the DS is crossed and the NDS is radial.

All the ones I've built are crossed. It's easy to do, and makes sense for hubs like this that weren't designed for triplet. The NDS flange is usually not that strong, and the tension is very high.
formerly rruff...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shlammed

by shlammed

tension is usually higher on the DS.