New 'Cross Tubeless

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Geoff

by Geoff

Well, there isn't ever that much new in the world of tubular tires, but I thought that Richard Nieuwhuis' new Dugast tubeless tubulars warranted some attention.

On Sunday-last, Sven Nys, Wout van Aert and Kevin Pauwels all started with a new Dugast tubular that has no tube. Rather, the casing is airtight. Obviously, that will be great for 'cross, as you will presumably never have a pinch-flat again. Richard said that Sven started with it, then switched back and forth, Kevin raced it, but Wout had to change after van der Poel stepped in his wheel.

I could see this being great for road, too. Finally, we could ride tubulars with a sealant and have a pretty good chance that it would work. It would almost be like a tubeless wheel with good tires!

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Tubeless tubular tyres well I hope they do an MTB version soon and road. Sealant already works quite well with current tubulars. they only problem with tubeless tubulars is when the puncture is too big for the sealant to work. Had that last week on the road bike popped a tube in. With tubeless tubular I would have to ride with a flat. Did that the week before on the 29er 33 miles on a flat MTB tub was no fun at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

commfire

by commfire

I race on clement cx tires just for this reason. The tubeless tubular eliminates pinch flats and I no longer feel I need an extra set of Pit wheels

On the road side I wish tire manufacturers like Vittoria or veloflex would create a road tubeless tubular that road similar to the traditional tubed tubular.
Tufo/clement has this as an option but my understanding is that they are significantly slower.
The ability to confidently fix a flat with sealant on a road tire would keep my riding tubulars year round.

Wishful thinking.

wrenegade

by wrenegade

commfire wrote:I race on clement cx tires just for this reason. The tubeless tubular eliminates pinch flats and I no longer feel I need an extra set of Pit wheels

Same thinking here. Have used Clement LAS, MXP and PDXs. Love them.

Geoff

by Geoff

So, according to Dugast, the tires utilise a conventionally-constructed casing with a special coating inside and a special valve. Without the tube, you need to run slightly higher pressure to get the same 'feel', so, less likelihood of 'bottoming' the tire out. They are testing them for the balance of the season before they decide to make them more widely available.

LeDuke

by LeDuke

Looks like my MTB tubulars might be getting more use than I'd thought. If they make a 52mm 29er tire like this, I'll be first in line. The inability to run sealant was a major turnoff.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Geoff

by Geoff

Thanks for that. In answer to the post to that piece about why the big deal, when others have made similar products in the past, I would point to the Dugast treads and overall quality. Great product.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com