U shape/toroid profile aluminium

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mr4fox

by mr4fox

WMW wrote:
mr4fox wrote:Anyone checked these out? They sound pretty good and are a available with a black ceramic brake track. Maybe more expensive than some of the alternatives tho. https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/af ... escription

+1 to avoiding Pacenti sl rims btw.

Why exactly are you against Pacenti SL23s, but plugging a preliminary design by an unknown entity that has little chance of ever being a success?

Granted the SL23s have had issues, but for a bleeding-edge light design I think it is sorted out pretty well at the present time. I'm still loving my Gen 1s after ~10k miles. No cracks, no truing needed, no problems, and the tight tire mounting is a bonus IMO.

Because mine are friken impossible to mount tyres on and even more difficult to remove tyres. I can just manage clinchers but mounting tubeless chewable pro ones is impossible without a tyre jack. Even then it's still requires a s#@t ton of force to force the beads on. Im well aware of the correct technique for mounting tubeless tyres but the rim well on the SL23 v1s simply isn't deep enough. Im not the only one who has experienced this problem which I suspect is why Pacenti modified the design for the v2.

I bought the Pacenti rims for use in bad weather. I live in Norway. Bad weather usually means cold. I got stuck out in 1C with a flat I couldn't fix and was litterally huddled in a ball shivering and numb by the time a ride arrived. I emailed Pacenti about the issue fitting tubeless tyres but never received a reply.

That's why I think Pacenti are junk.

I have no reason to suspect the rims on kick-starter are problematic and i was just offering them to the OP and others for their own interest.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You need to improve your tyre fitting skills then. I can get swchable pro one and IRC tubeless tyres on Pacenti rims by hand. flat tyre levers are easier. You need the tyres to be a tight fit so the tubeless tyres seat and seal without the aid of compressed air.

Had the schwable ones over a year back on my PAcenti SL23 V1's and was out in 1C cold wet jan night. Got a puncture. Pulled the tyre of by hand popped a tube in and remounted by hand. Not a problem. I am not a gorrila either.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushstart

by pushstart

I think we can assume that mr4fox had a set that was on larger side of tolerance. I have had some rims that were nearly impossible to mount tires on and then others where I have not had problems with a specific tire while others have. I don't have Pacenti rims, but honestly the reputation they have for being difficult to mount tires has been confirmed by everyone I have known to use them.

I did find that my Flo30 rims were much more usable after switching to Stans yellow rim tape (vs Velo plugs).

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

mr4fox wrote:I have no reason to suspect the rims on kick-starter are problematic and i was just offering them to the OP and others for their own interest.

I have reasons.
formerly rruff...

Ltyarbro42

by Ltyarbro42

I haven't seen any comparisons, but are there any tests comparing this style of wheel to carbon of mid depth (38-55mm)? It seems they always use cxps as a control which I understand, however, it is nice to see a little of everything.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk