A positive plug for Tire Alert Tubular repair

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I sent a few like new tubulars to these guy and I must say they do excellent work. I would highly recommend their service for any tires that are worth re-tubing. I got them back in a timely manor and the work in top notch. I got both butyl and latex tubes installed in some tires. I sent the latex tubes with the tires and had them supply the butyl tubes.
I am in no way connected with this business.

RussellS

by RussellS

$30 for butyl tube and basetape. $42 for latex tube and basetape. Plus $5 ??? postage for you to send the tire to them. Free return shipping. So prices are not horrendous if you have a nearly new high dollar tubular tire with a flat. But its still fairly easy and cheap to just patch the tube yourself. Why pay $35 or $47 to have someone else do it?

1. Find the hole.
2. Pull the basetape off, about 6 inches.
3. Cut the stitching and pull about 4 inches out.
4. Pull the tube out and patch it.
5. Put air in the tube and test it for 24 hours or more. You want to make sure the patch sticks before continuing.
6. Use waxed dental floss and a big needle to stitch the casing back together. Start an inch to either side of the open casing and just use cross stitches.
7. Use Goop brand marine glue to stick the basetape back on. Menards hardware store sells it. Home Depot and Lowes may have it too. Immediately mount the tire on a rim with fresh tubular glue so the Goop and basetape can stick everything together. Pump the tire up half way.
8. Next day ride the bike after the Goop dries and the tubular glue dries.

Takes about 3 days with an hour or less each night. Nothing too difficult.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

skiezo

by skiezo

I only send them tires that need to be re-tubed. If it is just a repair I will do it myself as I have been doing for the past 30+years.
I had some hi end tires that I got at the Trexlertown flea market last year that had blow outs at the valve stem area. FMB for $10 to 15 each.
My skill level or patience level is not up to the task of doing whole re tubes. So basicly I have 4 new hand made tires with new tubes for 1/3 the price of new ones.
All I am saying is if anyone needs tubulars re tubed they do fantastic work.