Racing wheels for an aero bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dkim262

by dkim262

I'd like to recommend Bontrager Aeolus5 or 7.
I'd used it for 3 years.
It was very strong and credible!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

poppiholla

by poppiholla

What about Fulcrum Racing speed 50? Great wheels, hubs and construction.
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL7 (Satin carbon spectraflair tint)
Specialized Tarmac S-works SL6 (Green Cameleon)
Specialized Tarmac Pro SL6 Disc (Blue/Teal Sram Force AXS)
Specialized Epic Elite 29
Greetings from the Netherlands

Multebear

by Multebear

aerodynamiq wrote:
I'm looking for something light and (preferably) very aero.

Don't we all :beerchug:

Generally deeper rim means more aero, and generally more shallow means lighter rim. So either you need to choose, or you need to find the best compromise.

Tubular is lighter than clincher which helps you part of the way.

All the brands you're mentioning are top brands. Just pick the one you like the most. Enve's are very good. So are Zipp, Shimano and Campa. Zipp's have problems with some of the hubs thought. Shimano and Campa have some of the best hubs on the market. Enve rims look best IMO.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Might want to look at some Reynolds Strike SLG, Profile design 58 TwentyFour. Metron etc...the deeper rims, tubular.

Only way you are getting that low is either a custom build, with some sweet Tune Hubs or something, CXRay spokes, alloy nipples and a good rim.

You could get a set of clinchers down around the 1450-1500gm weight with a custom build.

But if you want stock build, tubulars are the only thing at a 404/55-62mm depth at that weight you want.

Most manufacturers hubs are kind of porky. Unless you want to spend $1200 on Enve's new carbon hubs..haha.

Good luck.

mbrider

by mbrider

I wanted to get some Corima 47 S+ tubulars myself. Found them online for a good price.

But, I went with the Reynolds Aero 46 tubulars, as they were even less expensive. My hope is that they will be even better in crosswinds with the rim shape. And I wanted more of an all round type of wheel. These have a 26.2mm wide rim at the brake track. that means you can run some very wide tyres. I have a Vitt 25 tub up front and a new Zipp 27 tub in the rear. The fit is perfect. These wheels feel really nice and solid. And they were 1210 gm front and rear weight!

Very excited. think these are going to be the best wheels i have tried yet!