fulcrum racing zero bearings

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

toastie

by toastie

Ive just picked up a set of used racing zero wheels with ceramic bearings and the bearings in the rear wheel feel really notchy and a bit noisy, like they're full of grit is this normal for ceramic? i expected them to feel amazingly quiet and smooth.
Its highly possible they're shot as the wheels haven't been well maintained, the freehub ones are in bits!! but just incase they can be saved i was going to strip them out clean and relubricate them and see what differences it makes, what lubricant/grease do people recommend? if they are shot is it worth replacing with ceramic or just buy a standard stainless steel race to put in there?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

If the bearings in the freehub are shot, just get yourself an other one secound hand. Bearings CAN be replaced, but is not easy at all! BUT, owning those wheels, I can tell you that if the rear wheel feels gritty, chances are that the inner surface of the hub is damaged (and not the ceramic bearings). If so, good luck with a full rebuild. Better look at other wheels. Take them apart, clean everything and it will quickly become clear if there is still live in the wheelset...

toastie

by toastie

I was afraid that may be the case. I've stripped the bearings out of the freehub already so I could measure them to get replacements but wasn't sure about the ceramic ones

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

If the wheel bearing surfaces are shot they are replaceable. Just like Campagnolo they are available as a spare. They aren't cheap as they are the same as Campagnolo's CULT bearings. Freehub is a PIA to sort so just replace it. The bearings aren't ceramic in there either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toastie

by toastie

Oh thank you for that that's a little bit of hope then as I thought it would mean a new hub

Pottsy

by Pottsy

The freehub bearings are a piece of piss to replace. Done it many times.

toastie

by toastie

Yeah the freehub ones are done [emoji16]

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Very easy to do. Don't the zero's have USB bearings which are not the same as CULT. If so just pop the standard steel bearings and cups/cones in. It is alot cheaper and they last just as long. The USB bearing has the same ceramic bearings as the Cult but the bearing cups and cones are the same as in the standard HB-RE100 service kit from campagnolo. the CULT bearing kit has hardened bearing cups and cones and last much much longer to the point if you keep them serviced it is difficult to wear the buggers out.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

elygomez

by elygomez

toastie wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:12 pm
Yeah the freehub ones are done Image
Hi , I have the same issue front wheel feels like if it has sand inside , how did you solve this ?

Thanks