Looking for advice for wheels for racing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Hey guys I'm looking to get a set of carbon clinchers 50-60mm to use for racing.
I currently have a set of fulcrum racing zero's on my Cervelo s3 so I wanted to get a set of carbon clinchers. I've had Zipp 60's on my previous bike and while they were fasdt when you got them up to speed they just felt sluggish.

My budget is around 1000-1400 euro.
I was initially going to go for a set of Swiss side hadron 625's which are about 1150.
Or RITCHEY WCS APEX II 60mm FCC.
Also thought of going for new 2016 farsport 60mm FCC with DT Swiss 240's.

I then came across a set of used 2015 Zipp 303 for about 1300 euro now they are obviously not a deep as I initially wanted but they are like new.

What do you guys think or have you any other recommendations.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

All of the mentioned wheels are good and decent wheels. Not big differences between them. I have a set of Farsports 50 mm rims laced to CK R45 hubs. I'm very satisfied with them. Farsports laced to DT 240s is definitaly not bad at all either.

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Multebear wrote:All of the mentioned wheels are good and decent wheels. Not big differences between them. I have a set of Farsports 50 mm rims laced to CK R45 hubs. I'm very satisfied with them. Farsports laced to DT 240s is definitaly not bad at all either.

I guess my only worry going with farsport is their build quality good.
Like I've seen as few wheel builder sites that seem to sell the exact same wheel except they've built the wheels but they're charging at least 500-600 more than farsport.

Multebear

by Multebear

I've only bought rims at Farsports. But I have a teammate, who bought complete wheelset, and he is very satisfied. If you have any problems with the build, just go to your local wheelbuilder and let him give the wheels the last finetuning. But I'm pretty sure you'll be fine.

efeballi

by efeballi

+1 for Farsports. I've bought a 50mm wheelset from them, it was quite well built and I still have no problems with them. If you're anxious with the build, you can always order the wheel unbuilt and lace it yourself/have it laced by someone you trust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2015 Cannondale Supersix Evo
2013 KTM Strada mod. (totaled)
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

by 11.4

If you have to ask, you are probably early in your racing career and presumably not sponsored. So I'd say to get any wheels you can afford to race hard and not weep if you trash them. You want to race without having to think first of your wheels. You say you want clinchers but for race wheels you seriously could use tubulars. There are more and better choices in race tires in tubulars than in clinchers. I'd say to race what you've got and save the money until your experience can show just what you need. Different riders need different sturdiness, stiffness, weights, rim bed width, spoke count, rim depth, and on and on, depending on your strength, weight, and where you race in the pack and just what kind of racing you do. Unless you have won consistently, you don't really what wheels give you the edge that secures another victory. Right now it isn't the wheels that keep you from winning (or give you the win either, for that matter).

nefariousintent

by nefariousintent

Its not 1940... There are a huge range of clinchers available with the S-Works cotton rollong faster than many tubs.... Other than that, yes, race what you can replace.
Using Tapatalk

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Thanks guys great advice.

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Guys just on hubs am I gonna notice much difference between lets say DT Swiss 240's and DT Swiss 350's? Or even cheaper novatec hubs.

Multebear

by Multebear

You will not notice any difference, and there wont be any performance wise difference. If you keep the wheels long enough, you might notice a difference in durability. DT hubs are probably more durable with better seals. The DT design has proven itself over many years, and the hubs haven't had any design changes for at least 10 years. Performancewise there wont be any difference. And the difference between 240 and 350 is only weight.
Last edited by Multebear on Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Ok last question I promise.
I've narrowed it down to 2 wheels

1/ veltec 6.0 FCC its a 55mm wheels 23.5mm wide with sealed bearings and assembled in Germany. Weight is around 1640g and they cost around 900 euro delivered.
http://s-tec-essence.eshop.t-online.de/ ... 16362-0002

2/ farsport new u shape rims with 4 deg brake track. In either 50 or 60mm 23mm wide with DT Swiss 350 straight pull hubs. Cost is around 650 Euros give or take a couple of euro.

Which would you go for?

Multebear

by Multebear

Does DT Swiss straight pull hubs come in other spokeconfigurations than 24/28? If not, then I would choose DT Swiss 240s hubs, since they come in 20/24 spokeconfig. You dont want 24/28 spokes.

I dont know anything about Veltec wheels.

Funnyclub

by Funnyclub

Multebear wrote:Does DT Swiss straight pull hubs come in other spokeconfigurations than 24/28? If not, then I would choose DT Swiss 240s hubs, since they come in 20/24 spokeconfig. You dont want 24/28 spokes.

I dont know anything about Veltec wheels.

The 350's they quoted me is in a 20/24 spoke configuration.

nefariousintent

by nefariousintent

Whats wrong with 24/28??
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

nefariousintent wrote:Whats wrong with 24/28??

Nothing if it's for a couple of alloy rims. But for carbon rims 50 mm deep or more it's completely overkill, unless your are more than 110 kg.