new Mavics coming - any info?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

duodiscus

by duodiscus

I spotted these Mavic Cosmic Ultimate wheels at Stage 1 of this year's Tour of California (apparently "Carbone" dropped from the name, so no longer CCU, but just CU).

The most obvious change is the wider rim profile (U-shaped) front and rear and the carbon weave change to the sunray pattern from the classic 12K diamond weave pattern that all CCUs have. Carbon spokes look the same, with the rear wheel still having the same ND side spokes as the CCU also. Diamond pattern on the front hub also changed to a different weave. The front hub shape looks the same as CCU. I imagine the rear hub has been updated.

These wheels were out in the open for anyone to see, so apparently no big secret, but I've decided to blank out the identifying items on the rider's Felt bike. 25C tubulars mounted on his bike. I wish I could've asked him more questions about ride quality and such, but the race was about to start. According to him these are "great wheels."

I still love my CCUs and with mine coming in a bit below the claimed 1185g, very respectable for the stiffness and superb ride quality I get from them. I'm not sure whether Mavic would've been able to reduce weight with these new wheels with what seems to be a bit more carbon needed to get the new rim profile, but one can be hopeful.

Added: Interestingly, Team Cannondale was using the classic CCUs on their bikes during the 2016 TOC, although one or two riders looked to have last year's U-shaped front CCU on their bikes.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the "new Mavic CU" (don't know what's up with the super long valve extenders):

Cheers,
duodiscus

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tomstr

by Tomstr

The new Cosmic's are slowly coming to the market. Their streetprice is around 1660€'s but I haven't found any real-life reviews. Has anyone here tried them??
Ride it like you stole it

Tomstr

by Tomstr

You can ignore that last post unless you have a set, first review online.

http://road.cc/content/review/193403-ma ... c-wheelset

Overall; good scores excellent braking. :)
Ride it like you stole it

wingguy

by wingguy

The braking is indeed excellent. Significantly better than aluminium, IMO!

The front wheel feels very stiff, really predictable tipping into a corner and holds a line brilliantly. The rear wheel felt very responsive, and reacted really well to out of the saddle efforts - there was some deflection somewhere though because I had to dial the brakes out a little to get rid of a touch of rubbing. Not sure if that was the rim or my dropouts flexing though :wink:

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

wingguy wrote:The braking is indeed excellent. Significantly better than aluminium, IMO!

The front wheel feels very stiff, really predictable tipping into a corner and holds a line brilliantly. The rear wheel felt very responsive, and reacted really well to out of the saddle efforts - there was some deflection somewhere though because I had to dial the brakes out a little to get rid of a touch of rubbing. Not sure if that was the rim or my dropouts flexing though :wink:

Did you weigh your set? Do you mind post the weight per wheel without rim strip and skewers? I can find actual weights from online reviews however I wish to know the actual weights from store-bought sets :D The road.cc review set weighed 1,409g. while someone else who took a set of demo. wheels home got 1546g. (863R + 683F). Also, have you taken your rear freehub apart to see if Mavic still uses the delrin bushing? I know they have a new rear hub but I cannot find any info. on whether a bushing or bearing is used. The old design uses a delrin bushing. Thank you.
Last edited by pdlpsher1 on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

BikeRadar has a review on these wheels. I'm a bit concerned on the brake pad wear. This is from one ride. Pictured wheel is Ksyrium but it's the same brake surface as the Cosmics.

wingguy

by wingguy

Sorry dude, this was on our demo set so not my own wheels. And yeah, it does seem like the surface will eat brake pads pretty quickly, I had to clean a surprising amount of fine swarf off the pads after not many miles. The surface may bed in over time, but that's just speculation.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Thanks Wingguy. If they are as light as the road.cc review set at 1,409g then I could deal with accelerated pad wear. But if they are really closer to 1,550g. then no thanks :smartass:

zappafile123

by zappafile123

Man those Felt's look great!
FactorOne|SartoSeta|StorckF.3|Enigma EliteHSS|SworksSL6|ColnagoC60/V3Rs|DeRosa Protos|BianchiXR4/2|BMCSLR01 16|Cdale EvoHM|Focus IzMax|RidleyHe SL/SLX|BH Ulight|BassoDiamante|Scapin DyseysS8|TimeRXRS/ZXRS|TCR SL|RidleyNoah|Look585|CerveloS5/S3

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Why supply them with Yellow pads...
Using Tapatalk

commfire

by commfire

Mavic's current line up is nothing short of confusing.
They have various widths and rim construction for every segment.
I wish they would pick a direction and stick with it.

wingguy

by wingguy

Every company that offers a wide range of price points has different designs and rim constructions at different levels. Otherwise how would one be so much cheaper than the other?