Why are Zipp wheels so heavy?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ichobi

by ichobi

Recently I was looking for a new set of clincher deep section to go with my bike. Looking at 2016 options, Zipp seems a lot heavier than competition at the same price range.

2016 MY weight (quoted)

Zipp 303 Clincher: 1625g
Enve 4.5 Clincher: 1448g
Bora Ultra 50 Clincher:1435g
Bontrager Aeolus 5 TLR D3: 1440g

I know Zipp redo the hub (again) and weight seems to increase here, but almost 200g over competitor?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Are the rims the same width?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Well if weight is the issue buy one of the others. It's 200g. All the rims are wide in the above wheels. The zipp rim maybe heavier and stiffer perhaps.

You would have to ride them all. Buying wheels on weight alone is not be best idea to me as there is more to how a wheel feels and performs than headline weight.

mattyNorm

by mattyNorm

Maybe they beefed up the rim after all the issues they had with spokes pulling through.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Seems mostly due to hubs and spokes. Perhaps they wanted a wheelset that does not develop play as 2014-2015 hubs are reported to do!?

There is no info of a change to the rims design that i can see.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ichobi

by ichobi

To be sure i will and have tested ride some of them, except the 2016 zipp of course. (the other brands keep the same spec) would be interesting to see how the new zipp perform.

Zitter

by Zitter

wheelsONfire wrote:Seems mostly due to hubs and spokes. Perhaps they wanted a wheelset that does not develop play as 2014-2015 hubs are reported to do!?

There is no info of a change to the rims design that i can see.

I thought they just removed the pre-load adjustment and just have it factory set now?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

No, the hubs are all new design and according to Zipp not like the previous models.

I don't think it matters, but the hubs are now made in Asia to lower the price of the wheels.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Delorre

by Delorre

With every generation Zipp wheels, weights went up. I remember the first 303 tub rims, those were barely 300gr. After that, they introduced a reinforced 'pavé' version to adres some reliability issues. The next gen, the 'pavé' was the default used etc. I guess, it's the same story with their hubs. They kept having issues, so for every next gen, they beef it up and you get what we have now : maybe reliable, but 'heavy', a little like the vision wheels.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

wheelsONfire wrote:No, the hubs are all new design and according to Zipp not like the previous models.

I don't think it matters, but the hubs are now made in Asia to lower the price of the wheels.

For how many new Zipp hub designs have we heard this?

Multebear

by Multebear

In other words, nobody really knows for sure, why they are heavier??

It's an interesting question though.

ichobi

by ichobi

All I could think is the new hub which have larger axel diameter (really how much weight can be added here...) and wide rims could mean more weight ? (This doesn't hold candle since Enve is almost as wide, ditto Bontrager). A thicker brake reinforced brake track. It would be interesting if we could weight the 2016 zipp rims, then we know the weight of the hub too. Price is lower but that's all there is to it.

Epic5253

by Epic5253

a Buddy of mine had the same issue - be bought the cheaper lighter DSW and hated them. He recently upgraded to the heavier Zipp's with the same diameter and..... "the Zipp handing is incredible in windy conditions". Where the cheaper DSW threw him around with passing cars, etc the Zipp's are far more stable.
That's my 2c worth on the topic.
Cervelo P3C 7.31kg (UCI)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

Epic5253 wrote:
lighter DSW and hated them.

DSW wheels? What is that?