Changing Cassette type on Bontrager Aeolus 6.5 Clinchers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

punisher

by punisher

:welcome: Hi guys, i am a newbie here all the way in Scotland, hope you guys are doing good.
I am a little inexperienced when it comes to equipment as i've only had a road bike for 2 years
so after some advice if possible on some Bontrager Wheels which obviously there is more info
in the USA about them.

I have obtained a set of Bontrager Aeolus 6.5 Clinchers wheels which at the moment is running
a 10 speed Campagnolo Centaur cassette, but I'm wanting to upgrade to the cassette on the
rear wheel so i can use these Carbon wheels on my 2012 Trek Madone 5.9 which runs full Dura Ace
just normal Dura Ace and not the Di2

Is it possible to fit this on there as i was told it wasnt but surely its just a case of at worst changing the Freehub so it can accept my 10 speed Dura Ace cassette ?

Thanks in Advance :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jekyll man

by jekyll man

Is your Duraace 10 or 11spd?

If it's 11, then just buy an 11spd Campag cassette and keep the freehub as it is (campag 9, 10 and 11 are all the same width).

If your DA is 10spd, then the Bontrager hubs **should be** DT based, in which case you need a DT240 shimano freehub body kit.

** at least they used to be.

Someone will be along shortly to say 10spds will work fine across breeds, but I've never known that to be the case, although 11 plays quite happily 8)
Official cafe stop tester

eric

by eric

10sp does not work between Campy and Sram/Shimano like 11sp does. There are hacks like alternate cable clamp positions and the JTek shiftmate but they're not as good as having parts that match.

If there's only 11sp Shimano/Sram freehubs for these wheels you can run 10sp cassettes on them. You'll need the 1.8mm spacer that's available at any LBS and comes with some cassettes. For Shimano 10sp you also need the 1mm spacer that comes with the cassette. Sram 10sp cassettes don't use them.

punisher

by punisher

Thanks for the replies

My Dura Ace cassette I want to use is 10 speed and
I would rather keep it all Shimano as the rest
Of my Trek is all Dura Ace

Someone Suggested I buy a bontrager freehub kit from Trek
Which I presume would eliminate the need for any spacers
And would hopefully make the change pretty simple or
Would anyone still recommend the DT Swiss hub ?

thegunner

by thegunner

the bontrager freehub kit is almost certainly the same as the DT Swiss one (although probably overpriced due to the bontrager label).

Those hubs have DT Swiss internals, they won't take any other type of freehub. Just find a used 10s Shimano one, they should be cheap now.

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

@punisher I swapped the freehub on a set of wheels recently from 10-speed to 11-speed. I have the old 10-speed DT Swiss freehub body sitting in my parts bin. Nothing wrong with it at all. PM me if you are interested in it.

Delorre

by Delorre

Give it a try as is, make some tweaks, and maybe, it works OK for you ;-) Have a read here : http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=39354&start=15

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Bontrager hubs have had DT Swiss internals since.... a looong time. You should be golden with whatever DT body you want. Keep in mind that even if you're running 10sp Dura Ace, if you get an 11sp cassette body your 10sp will work fine on there and you have future proofed your wheel in case you ever make the move to 11sp.