DT Swiss 350 MTB Disc Hub 10 Convert to 11 Speed Road?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi, I recently bought a DT Swiss 350 IS 6 Bolt, 5mm x 135mm, QR Rear disc hub for a cyclo-cross wheel build. I got the hub from Germany and it duly arrived and was dispatched to my LBS for building up with my other components. I got the wheel back at the weekend and set about preparing it for use. When I came to install my cassette, an 11 Speed Shimano road cassette, it would not fit; the free wheel was too short.

I have spoken to the shop in Germany, and the UK distributer and apparently I have bought a MTB hub which is suitable for Shimano 9/10/11 speed – that is MTB 11 speed and not road 11 speed. Putting aside my annoyance with myself, and the far from clear information as to this hub being MTB only, I am now stuck with a wheel which will only take 10 speed road cassettes and I am running a SRAM Rival 1 11 speed rear mech etc.

The wheel is built up so returning the hub is not really an option. The UK distributor is adamant, despite some views to the contrary on the web, that you cannot swap out the MTB 9/10/11 speed freewheel for an 11 speed freewheel, which, if correct, means I have a wheel I can’t use. The only other way round the problem may be to add some extra spacers and block out a gear giving 10 speeds with eleven speed spacing but this is hardly ideal.

Any ideas or experiences relating to this problem would be very gratefully received as otherwise it is going to cost me a packet to put this right.

Thanks in advance.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

You can swap an 11 speed road freehub onto the hub. OLD goes up to 136mm but it works done it before before they brought out the road disc brake hub and all that is a 136mm OLD MTB hub with a 11 speed freehub body on it i.e the same bloody hub.

grover

by grover

Yep, just order the 11 speed road freehub body and driveside end cap. It'll work fine. I've done this with many wheels to swap between cyclocross and mtb between seasons.

thp

by thp

Ditto as stated above. Same thing happened to me. If you're really adventurous, just file down the base on the old freehub 1.0mm and it'll work for road 11!

stormur

by stormur

to 136mm will go only if you swap Shimano 10 to Campagnolo 11 ;) . Shimano 10 :11 will not make any change in "axle" width.

There's only one condition required to make switch possible : ratchett. If DT hub has it - it will work, if not - no. ( different non-ratchett freehub mount designs for Campa and Shimano ).
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

spookyload

by spookyload

As mentioned. Order the11-speed road. It comes with the drive side end cap it is a modular hub and designed to do it. I just converted a 29" MTB wheel to a cross bike with Ultegra 11. I was converting a 9x135mm to a 12x142mm thru axle though. I had to buy new end caps for the thru axle. Of note, DT USA told me the dish would be off by .5mm when I did it can't tell if that was true. Wheel rides normal.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

spookyload wrote:Of note, DT USA told me the dish would be off by .5mm when I did it can't tell if that was true. Wheel rides normal.

Yes, it is off by 0.5mm. But no problem adjusting the RD a couple of clicks, especially if using Di2.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

SgtRock

by SgtRock

Hi All

Thanks for the replies and particularly Malcolm. New freewheel arrived and installed. If the axle is wider it didn't cause any problems fitting the wheel into the rear dropouts and the gears run fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikedown

by mikedown

Im on the same boat as SGT ROCK

i have a DT swiss 240 mtbhub so i need to purchase a 11 speed road freehub body (part number HWYABX00S2775S)?