help with wheel upgrade. Giant SLR0 vs WI/Pacenti vs ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tacostand

by tacostand

I'm looking for recommendations for a good all around road wheelset in the $1000-1400 range and curious to know if people have experience in particular with the Giant SLR0 wheels. I weight ~185lbs and ride mixed terrain but with a lot of hills and a decent number of potholes. I am looking for a nice, "do everything" wheelset to upgrade from the Fulcrum wheels that come stock with the Cervelo R3. I ask about the Giant wheels in particular because I have an opportunity to buy them new from a local shop for ~$1300. They seem like a very nice wheelset on paper (and looking at them in person). I've never owned carbon rim wheels and have some hesitation about how they'd hold up as an every day wheelset. Before coming across the Giant wheels at a local shop, my thought had been to go with a custom build with White Industry Hubs and Pacenti SL23 rims. The custom build would be cheaper, heavier, and probably more durable? The Giants would be lighter and possible more aero? Any thoughts on alternatives to consider?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Multebear

by Multebear

A factory carbon wheelset and a homebuild alloy wheelset are really two completely different things and don't really compare. First of all you must decide if you want to ride carbon or alloy. Next step is looking at options.

AJS914

by AJS914

Why don't they compare? Wheels are wheels.

I'll throw out there that I don't think carbon wheels are worth the price premium for most riders. The zipp marketing numbers for example say you'll save 60-70 seconds at 30mph over 40km. Most people are out there riding 15-20mph. That translates to a small amount of seconds saved for most riders since wind resistance is exponential. Is it worth a $1000-2000 price premium over aluminum rims?

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Actually, a slower rider will save more time - as you are out on the course for longer (I think this is true for longer rides though, haven't run the numbers for a 40km ride). If we're considering newtonian physics, wind drag is directly proportional to v^2 (not exponential - the exp function grows faster than a quadratic).

I suspect Zipp and co use 30mph (or whatever ridiculous speed for most recreational riders) as it's easy to find statistically significant, and replaceable results in the wind tunnel. Anything lower would require ridiculous repeat numbers to get significance, or just have too much noise.

Alloy wheels arguably have better braking etc. If wheels were wheels there's no need to stipulate carbon wheels or alloy wheels - we'd just buy wheels.

I'd be tempted by the Giant SLR0 wheels if I was more performance orientated, but if I'm just riding for fun and recreation, the WI/Pacenti wheels would be hard to beat. I'd ask myself, why did I originally want a set of custom build wheels? Was it for performance? Was it for reliability? (Or maybe a bit of both). Wanting wheels to win your next (hilly) race, or wanting wheels to enjoy riding in the hills are two completely different wheels.

Just my 2c worth - feel free to disagree :)
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

reduction in CdA has an affect on all riders at all speeds. Follow the maths and the reult is the slower the rider the higher the total time saved with the aero wheels compared to something traditional but expressed as a % of time a more powerful rider saves a greater % of time (even though the absolute number of seconds saved is slower) than a slower less powerfull one. This gets overlooked. Aero helps all riders but not equally regardless of how fast they go.

the thing is the Pacenti rim is already fairly aero so you you see 60 secs of time saved at 40kph over 40km.

I have 11000km on my carbon set ridden them in all weathers they are still good for a another 5 or 6000 km maybe more. I'll find out in time.

Malcolm

istigatrice

by istigatrice

great info Malcolm, I don't mean to derail the topic, but what brand/company are the carbon rims you refer to?

Just a further comment on carbon vs aluminium brake track, Aluminium seem to go concave over time (particularly in the wet) but I haven't observed the same effect on carbon rims (they don't seem to 'wear' like an aluminium rim does - but the braking fades a bit over time).
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The ones I import. I give them a name.

Braking does fade on carbon rims over time and I maybe starting to see the begining of that. There is still good resin coverage on the front though and I can still stop quickly so all is good.

Alu rims getting too thin is dangerous ever had a rim blow out, I haven't but its ride ending if it happens.

stoney

by stoney

The Giant SLR0 carbon wheel set is very nice! It's light, stiff, and at that price, $1300, a great deal. I have a set that came on my Giant TCR Pro 0. The braking is awesome.

HermesSport
in the industry

by HermesSport

Hey Tacostand! Check your PMs :)
Hermes Sport, San Diego CA
Handbuilt Competition Wheel Systems
http://www.hermes-sport.com

stoney

by stoney

First real world test for toughness for my Giant SLR0 carbon wheels was this past Saturday in a fast pace line. I was sitting fourth wheel and we were moving along around 27mph and BAM I hit a pothole. It punctured/busted my rear tire but the 1350 gram wheels were as true as ever. I believe they are going to be a great wheel set.

joepac

by joepac

If you are not getting at least 40mm deep carbon rims I would recommend sticking with alloy. You can build a light pair of alloy wheels with a 20/28 or 24/28 spoke count that will be just as light and brake a lot better. 30mm rims are going to offer minimal aero benefits over a rim like the pacenti, so save money and go with alloy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com