Farsports 58 x 28 U shaped rim. A bit too wide for me.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Bluechip

by Bluechip

I'm actually in Cypress so most of my rides are out here. I haven't ridden in town much since moving out here 15 years ago.

No, I've only used what I have on hand as of now. I will check out some more modern brakes to see if it helps, but after a couple of rides now they seem to be working fairly well. I even got caught in a little rain the other day and stopping power was much better than expected. Shaving the pads has really helped. I've got a lot of options to check now. Newer brakes, thinner pad holders, thinner pads. Some are more expensive than others so I'm not sure what I'll end up with.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

First issue with the rims. A couple of days ago my bike developed a new rattle. Mostly at slower speeds. It sounded like it was coming from the rear. I first thought it was a loose chain. Kind of a ticking sound every once in a while. I figured out it was something loose in the rear rim. I just took off the rim tape and discovered what it is. It's white and spans two spoke holes, and is wider than a spoke hole. I'm guessing it's a clump of extra resin that broke off. It's very annoying. I'm not sure I'll be able to get it out. I may have to test the warranty.

Other than this issue they have been fantastic.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

It's not the rim that's the problem, it's the old brake. Brakes, older frames etc..weren't designed at the time the wide/aero wheels were coming out. Hence, you need some newer brakes that can handle 28-30mm width minimum. I have Far Sport CNC brakes, and basically almost run them entirely as wide as they go, and I have about 2mm each side at best at their widest.

Just the nature of the beast. Find a cheaper newer set of brakes that will work with wider rims. Because the wide/aero rims aren't going away anytime soon. The other components have to adapt. Thank Zipp for that!!

Bluechip

by Bluechip

They've offered to send a new rim. :thumbup: I would have to pay shipping. :x Their 18 month warranty only includes shipping for the first 3 months. So it would be $40 for a new rim. So I'm thinking of doubling down. Ordering another pair of rims and they will add my replacement rim without any extra shipping charges. The rims have been great once I shaved my brake pads down a bit, except for this rattle.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

Now that my replacement rim is on it's way I decided to see if I could get the loose material out of the rim. It spans more than the length of two spoke holes and is almost as wide as the hole itself.

I was able to break the mass in half but that made the noise even worse. I found a curve pick and was able to break it up into even smaller pieces but no luck getting anything more than the tiny parts out. I decided to drill the hole a little larger and see if that worked.

Finally success. It took a lot of shaking and breaking up of the pieces but it's all out.

Now, do you think the rim is safe to ride. I don't think the slightly larger hole will be a problem but wanted to check to see what everyone else thinks.

Bluechip

by Bluechip

My new rims arrived today and they weigh in a little less than the first set. I ordered two new rims plus the replacement. They weighed 523,524,527g. Not yet sure if I will replace the original rattling rim or not.

Marin

by Marin

Definitely 99.5% as safe to ride as before. I'd keep them laced up, at >500g there's enough material there.