Tyres for winter riding??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stormur

by stormur

RussellS wrote:
stormur wrote:On last ride we had 2 flats : and colleague on Marathon Winter Studded....
Conclusion ? ;)

I'd suspect a defective tube for the Marathon studded tire. Could have flatted overnight in the garage too. Marathon Winter studded tires are thick, thick, thick rubber. You'd need a hammer to pound a needle into one of them.

Nope. It was a piece of sharp stone. Both cases.

And no, I had very good day. Something really small like flat tire at the end of very nice ride with friends won't spoil my mood :)

Just situation when on 1 ride are 2 flats : 1 on "fragile" tire, and 1 known from extreme sturdiness , and both are from same reason... it let me re-think some things ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joepac

by joepac

I've had good luck with the 4seasons in very harsh conditions (cinders/ice/snow)

The winter here has been milder this year, and I've been using the Vittoria Rubino Pro IIIs successfully. They are pretty tough and durable. They roll a little easier than the Contis, but they don't grip as well in the wet.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

To the OP, if you're in southern PA, I'd go with Michelin Pro4 Endurance as a winter tire.

benzebub

by benzebub

schwalbe durano plus have been good to me in winter
But I could be wrong

Tomstr

by Tomstr

If the weather is poor I'd go for the widest you can fit. I'm looking into a set of 28mm Pro4's for my TCR, here's to hoping it works. :-D

Cross tyres could also work, something like the challenge semislick.
Ride it like you stole it

srshaw

by srshaw

kgt wrote:Continental gatorskin

I use these also for winter. Never had a puncture yet (ok once had a snakebite when riding them a bit soft and hit a bump).

I do think these might be a bit overkill though, and will probably go conti gp4 season if they ever wear out, which currently looks unlikely.

skiezo

by skiezo

I got a set of 25mm Conti. 4seasons on a pair of Hed 23mm clincher rims. I have about 1000 miles on them and so far they have been going OK. They seem a bit slower but that is fine as I'm just out for a rides a few times a week.
I have these on a Desalvo Ti frame which is my foul weather bike. I do not want to ride the Sarto with all the cinders and damp roads.

audiophilitis

by audiophilitis

Veloflex Arenbergs for winter...

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's interesting looking at suggestions for a winter tire. I wait for a new bike and i bought Conti Top Contact II winter for this season.
http://www.continental-tires.com/bicycl ... r2-premium

Even so, some say i should use studded. I went for this tire due to weight saving and less rolling resistance.

However, for a road bike i think the 37mm is to wide to have clearance. All these tires suggested, how well will they handle ice?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

Late reply, but I live in the Greater Vancouver area and therefore do a lot of rainy riding in the winter.

1) Conti GP 4-Season (700x25) - really about as good as it gets for a winter tire that still has decent feel and rolling resistance. Very good puncture resistance, good wear and good traction in the wet. Accurate width sizing, a 25 measures just over 25 mm on a Campy Eurus rim.

2) Vittoria Open Pave (700x25) - super plush ride, but IMO not as grippy as the Conti in a wet corner. Also not quite as puncture resistant as the Conti, nor as good for mileage. I can probably get over 3000 km on a rear GP 4-Season, but an Open Pave is done by 2500 km. Runs a bit narrow for stated width.

3) Panaracer Gravel King (700x26) - had high hopes for these as a winter tire after using them in mostly dry weather. Good ride, good grip, but after a rash of debris punctures in the wet I have decided to suspend them as a wet-weather tire. It seems as though the casing may not have the best puncture resistance in the rain, as sharps like glass, wires, and rock flints are problematic with the addition of water as a lubricant. Tire also runs a bit narrow for stated width, more like 24.5 for a 26 on the same Campy Eurus.