Tyres for winter riding??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

skiezo

by skiezo

I am looking for a set of winter clinchers tyres. I ride on mostly decent roads with good shoulders. Once the snow comes there will be alot or anti skid/small stones on the shoulders. The wheels will be HED C2 clinchers 23mm wide. The tubes will be butyl.
Here are a few I am thinking about.
1) Vittoria Open Pave CG Tyre 25mm
2) Vittoria Open Corsa SR Tyre 24mm
3 )Vredestein Fortezza Senso Xtreme Weather 25mm
4) Continental GP 4 Season Vectran Tyre
Any others that are recommended

I am not real concerned about great handling as I am about cut resistance and good wet traction.

Thanks Brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

Maxxis refuse have been really good to me for flat protection and good grip. I use them a lot for gravel road riding in the 28mm size.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

I have been on Diamante Pro 25mm (213 grams) since last season, for my trainer/winter bike. Very pleased with them on the road, and they have held up well on the trainer.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The vittoria ' s are not cut resistant. Great grip and comfort though.

Challange strada bianca 30 mm or the challange strada 25mm have been very good to me. 3 500km on shifty roads covered in flint mud and gravel and not one puncture.

Conti gatorskin hardshell are very good at not getting cut.

F45

by F45

Schwalbe Marathon Plus

Multebear

by Multebear

We have really foul weather at wintertime here in Scandinavia, without ever making one unable to train the roads. One doesn't really ever have excuses to stay at home. Besides that, they use flint to build the roads here. Which is why the rate of flats probably is one of the highest in the world. Nobody rides tubulars here except for races for the same reason. The general consensus here is Schwalbe Durano Plus. Some even top it up with inner tube protector, which really reduces the amount of flats.

But I guess that Schwalbe Marathon plus beats that option. Both on flat resistance, but also on weight.

F45

by F45

bicyclerolllingresistance.com tested all the Marathon line recently. They look pretty good. http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... -plus-2015

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Yes they are tough heavy tyres that making riding hard but they are good for at least 5000 miles.

stormur

by stormur

On last ride ( tarmac + some gravel, but even on bike paths plenty of small sharp stones - typical for Finland... ) we had 2 flats : me on Vittoria Corsa Evo III 25mm ( 10 seconds from home, end of ride... ) and colleague on Marathon Winter Studded....

Conclusion ? ;)
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I have had good luck with Continental 4 season....

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Conclusion stomur is you had a bad day!

RussellS

by RussellS

stormur wrote:On last ride we had 2 flats : and colleague on Marathon Winter Studded....
Conclusion ? ;)

I'd suspect a defective tube for the Marathon studded tire. Could have flatted overnight in the garage too. Marathon Winter studded tires are thick, thick, thick rubber. You'd need a hammer to pound a needle into one of them.

cmcdonnell

by cmcdonnell

For fast winter riding I've been very happy with Conti Grand Prix GT 25mm. Been using a set for a couple of years and really like them; current set look pretty good after 2500 miles or so. They seem to roll faster than Conti 4-Seasons and have a more comfortable ride and are very grippy and puncture resistant. Of your options the Vittoria Open Pave's are lovely but quite delicate and don't last well. I may use them in the spring but i'll be lucky to see 1000 miles our of a set even if I rotate when half worn, lovely tyres though.
Bianchi Oltre XR2 + Campagnolo Super Record 11 + Campagnolo Bora 50C
Litespeed T1 + Campagnolo Chorus 11 + Campagnolo Shamal Ultra

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

When you guys say winter riding, do you ride on ice without studded tires?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.