Train on what you race....?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

As the 2016 season is ever creeping closer and closer, I have thought about training on my race wheels (Specialized CLX 60 Clinchers) when it warms back up as per advised by some of the local racers. Now was I ill advised or is this somewhat common for people to do? And of course, yes this would be my first year racing so I am quite the "CAT-6".

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerector

by bikerector

Being new to the sport, I would recommend training on the race wheels also, especially if they are clinchers. This will help you become familiar with how the bike handles with "race garb". It wouldn't hurt to use your race tires for training miles either, especially the few days leading up to the race.

Even at the higher ranks, wheels are usually what hold you back from doing well. There is a lot of to learn the first few years of racing aside from the fitness and equipment aspect. Crit racing especially seems like there's a whole different element of riding you need to learn that can only be learned from racing crits. Most people aren't just going to go whipping through corners, shoulder to shoulder for training. There are drills you can do to help calm the nerves and get used to close quarters riding and making contact with other riders but it's not quite the same.

Basically, don't geek out too much on the equipment the first year of racing. There is plenty of other things that will hold you back more than the bike components.

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

Ride them.....riding nice kit adds to the enjoyment of the sport.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Agree with the above, I'd train on your race wheels if you're not familiar with them. Handling in the cross winds can get interesting and the more experience you've had on the wheels the better.

Once you're used to deeper section wheels, and have tubular racing wheels then I'd be more hesitant about training on them (though training on tubs is manageable as evident through some users on this forum).

One word of advice though would be to make sure you can afford to replace what you're racing on. I don't mean to suggest racing is dangerous, but accidents do happen - often when you least expect it. Even though crashes are rare, it only takes one crash to total your frame/wheels.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Multebear

by Multebear

I almost never train on my racing wheels. I've been racing for some years now, and even though I'm very careful and somewhat good at avoiding crashes in general, crashes do happen, and I don't think I know any rider, that has been racing for at least a couple of years at cat 1/2 level, that hasn't been involved in a crash whether it was their own fault or someone else's. The risk of breaking your racewheels is just way bigger if you are training on them, law of large numbers.

Next thing is, the resale value drops considerably, if you use the wheels for training as well. And you don't want to be that guy, who sells 20.000 km wheels as "hardly used" in your add.

I even heard from teammates in the lower categories, that they didn't want to train today, because of bad weather, and they didn't want to wear on their carbon wheels.

There's also the safety issue. The breaking is just better on alloy wheels.

It's just so nice to go from heavy training wheels to lighter and faster racing wheels. Those few watts saved will make you feel like flying in the race. It really makes me feel fast and strong. Besides that, its alway nice to prepare yourself and your bike for racing the next day. Its kind of a ritual and it gives you that special feeling and anticipation for the race to change the wheels to racingwheels, and get your bike nice and ready.

If your teammates are training on racing wheels and you're not, this will even make you stronger than them, since you will have to invest those few extra watts to keep up.

Becoming familiar with how your bike handles with racing wheels? It takes about two minutes to do that. I usually do a short training session the day before the race. And I do it with the racingwheels just to make sure, that everything is in order with my gear, and to prepare the legs for the next day.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

My training is done while I commute. I don't commute on my race bike it won't take a rack. I have a race bike and other other bikes I use the rest of time. If you can't switch between bikes and feel at home on them within a minute then there is something wrong with your bike skills.

I find my carbon my wheels give braking performance that is equivalent to my alloy rims (well not as good as my DA brakes on Ambrosio Nemesis rims but little beats that). But I avoid using in them conditions that will wear them out. That is why I have other wheels.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

As of right now I have the Specialized Roval CLX 60 Clinchers and a set of Shimano RS20 Clinchers, but contemplating purchasing a set of Williams 80/55mm Tubulars (it is very flat here) if the racing pans out. My intentions were to use the RS20s for the trainer during the winter (I know I am a pansy, I hate cold weather), then once it warms up and I can ride on the roads again to place the Rovals on the bike for training and racing.

beatle

by beatle

Life is too short...

AJS914

by AJS914

It's really just an economic question - use a cheaper set of wheels for thousands of miles of training or use up your expensive race wheels faster.

mattr

by mattr

It depends on what level you race at, and what level you are sponsored at. (And what you can afford)
An unsponsored elite, riding several hundred km a week for training/racing in all weathers, it'll cost a lot in tyres and wear the rims out. So it's probably worth spending three or four hundred euro on a decent pair of training wheels. Probably end up with a net saving at the end of the season. If you have good sponsors, or are just bimbling around in the lower categories, (racing as a hobby) just ride what you want, it's not going to make a difference really.

Multebear

by Multebear

mattr wrote:
An unsponsored elite, riding several hundred km a week for training/racing in all weathers, it'll cost a lot in tyres and wear the rims out. So it's probably worth spending three or four hundred euro on a decent pair of training wheels.

This. Or just a pair of Shimano RS11 wheels at 130 € for wintertraining.

davidalone

by davidalone

Been training/racing for about 7 years now.

My training wheels have cheaper tyres and are more geared toward flat protection than outright speed. 90% of the time I train on them, they get the job done. the 'slower' tyres, less aero and heavier wheels make training that little bit harder, which is good for you. plus, they are cheaper, too. This keeps the racing tyres in good shape and less prone to getting cuts/flats.

The racing wheels come out about 2-3 weeks before race day, ridden around in fast rides to ensure everything is in good shape- braking, tyres/true, and of course regain any currency in terms of carbon braking/windy handling. Unless you descend the swiss alps in stormwinds or live on the coastal plains of north europe it isn't hard to get used to the deeper wheels. If I'm in the middle of a tough training block or I need some extra motivation to ride I'll put them on for a ride or two.

I find this gives me a little psychological boost on race day because you feel like you're flying.

Multebear

by Multebear

davidalone wrote:Been training/racing for about 7 years now.

My training wheels have cheaper tyres and are more geared toward flat protection than outright speed. 90% of the time I train on them, they get the job done. the 'slower' tyres, less aero and heavier wheels make training that little bit harder, which is good for you. plus, they are cheaper, too. This keeps the racing tyres in good shape and less prone to getting cuts/flats.

The racing wheels come out about 2-3 weeks before race day, ridden around in fast rides to ensure everything is in good shape- braking, tyres/true, and of course regain any currency in terms of carbon braking/windy handling. Unless you descend the swiss alps in stormwinds or live on the coastal plains of north europe it isn't hard to get used to the deeper wheels. If I'm in the middle of a tough training block or I need some extra motivation to ride I'll put them on for a ride or two.

I find this gives me a little psychological boost on race day because you feel like you're flying.

Agreed. What wheels do you ride as training wheels?

mgoles

by mgoles

Use them for training in spring and summer, have some cheaper for winter miles...

RazorL

by RazorL

I get my racewheels out on the race prep ride the day before.
This let me check that my bike setup is good, tubes are okay, brakes are set up correctly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com