23mm vs 25mm tire for climbing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warsteiner

by warsteiner

ever since i made the switch from 23mm to 25mm about a year ago, my flat & rolling speed have improved but climbing have suffered. not very sure if its the tires or the few kilos i've gained so would like to hear it from fellow climbers out there. i'll stick to 25mm's for my aero bike with aero wheelset but i have another climbing bike with climbing wheelset and would like to maximize its potentials

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

It's the few kilo's you have gained.

mavic1010

by mavic1010

Kilos for sure....

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Probably the kilos, but I have wondered what, if any, effect, a lower pressure mushier tire has on power transfer. What kind of pressures were you running in the 23mm vs. 25mm? I have noticed that with my 28mm tires at about 20psi less than I would run in a 23mm, you can really feel them squishing during hard standing climbing efforts when the bike sways side to side. There could be effects on the wheels ability to transmit force to the ground, but more so I am thinking of the deflection perhaps reducing the ability to put force into the pedal. Not saying anything for certain, but if you are someone who thinks that frame/crank/wheel flex can compromise power transfer then the same principals apply. Now having said all of that...there is a long and fairly recent thread on the frame stiffness altering power transfer question and the general conclusion was clear as mud, so good luck getting data on this one!

BTW, you said climbing speed suffered. How much did it suffer and how are you measuring it?

Marin

by Marin

TheKaiser wrote:if you are someone who thinks that frame/crank/wheel flex can compromise power transfer then

... you are probably wrong ;)

Tire pressure does affect rolling resistance, but wider tires are harder / resist compression better at identical pressure compared to narrower tires. Most or all of the reported lower rolling resistance of wider tires is due to this fact, and is lost when they are pumped to provide the same level of comfort as the narrower rubber.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

LOL, it is the kgs. 23mm to 25mm will make sod all difference in the real world. If you are noticing a difference in your climbing speed and you have gained weight, that is the reason.

mimason

by mimason

Too many Warsteiners. Suffer more and drink less beer or just suffer more.

eric

by eric

If you went from a 23mm tire with very low rolling resistance to a 25mm tire with lousy rolling resistance, you might notice a difference. From memory its about 10w per tire from the lowest to the highest resistance reasonable race tire.

If the tires are the same brand and model they are probably very close in rolling resistnce. And in fact the 25mm might be lower than the 23. They often are. In that case it's the body weight, winter, bad day, etc.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

you're trying to get your starbike discount aren't you?

dvdslw

by dvdslw

Not sure what your exact setup is but I prefer the feel of a 23mm tire over a 25mm given the same brand. My bike just feels faster with better steering response in comparison.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

The width of a nickel is 1.95 mm. Not likely such a trivial change would impact your speed. Most likely psychological , training related or even weather related.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com